Crafting Moms!

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by HWG#2, Feb 7, 2012.

1. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

OMG! I love it!!! It came out wonderfully! I'm so excited to see it in person! Thank you!

2. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Glad you like it! I hope it works out well for you! You should be getting it tomorrow. It was only like a dollar more to send it priority, although I should have just sent it flat rate. I didn't think it was that heavy!

I finally broke down and ordered the striped fabric of Olivia's costume so I can hopefully get that finished. I also want to start on some Christmas and birthday presents for Caitlin. I want to make her a bean bag chair like I did for Olivia and would also like to make her a rag quilt like the turtle one I made for Olivia. I have a pattern for a caterpillar one I might do for Caitlin. I just got a 20% off total, including sale prices coupon for Joann's so I may have to go pick up the fabric so I can get started because we all know the holidays will be here before we know it!

3. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm hunting down some cute cotton knit fabrics for RJ. My mom was going to make him some training pants now that he's showing awareness of going and has expressed some interest using the potty on occasion. Last time he said he had to go potty I rushed him to the bathroom but as soon as his diaper came iff he started going so I didn't get him on the potty in time. He refuses to use his potty chair ever since he could walk because he'll just get up from it. He will sit on the toilet with a potty ring though. I'm hoping he'll keep showing interest and be more ready to work on training after Christmas.

The last few months I haven't been able to do anything else but sew diapers so I'm starting to get a bit burned out from it. I've only got 5 more shells and then soakers to do for Brighton right now before I can take a little break, but I just want to embroider some stuff now instead so I may do some of that tomorrow instead.

4. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I got my striped knit fabric today! I ended up ordering it through Etsy because it was the cheapest overall route, and it came from Los Angeles so I can't believe I got it today already. It made me remember why I hate working with knits so much though...the stretch and curl! I was so eager to get to work on the shirt and leggings for her costume. I sat down and started cutting out the back piece of the shirt when it dawned on me..."oh crap, this is cotton. I need to prewash/shrink!" So I finished cutting that piece and then threw it in the washer, including the piece I had cut to see just how much it shrank. Oh my did it shrink. I would say a good 20% or so. Luckily I had JUST enough to recut the back piece of the shirt and the rest of the pieces. Whew. It's coming together nicely though so far. I just have to do all the hems, which I want her to try them on before I do, add the elastic to the waist of the leggings and make her ears/nose and the costume is done! Now I just can't wait for her to be able to wear it. I don't think I've had anything done this far in advance, haha!

I went to Joann's today to get fabric for the rag quilts I want to make. I have such a love/hate relationship with that place. The flannel prints were on sale for 2.99/yd (normally 6.99) and I had an additional 20% off total including sale prices coupon, so I figured it was a great time to get the fabric for those. I want to do a caterpillar one for Caitlin, and 2 dinosaur ones for DH's nephew's for Christmas (don't ask my why I'm putting so much effort into it if you know the history there, they are just too cute to not make and since I don't have a boy to make them for...) Anyway, I had a really hard time finding any fabrics that remotely matched what I had in mind for them. I ended up settling on some for the dinosaurs, but I think I will end up doing solid colors for the caterpillar, and of course they weren't on sale and my 50% off coupons aren't good until tomorrow. Figures! So I guess I will be back there later this week to get the solids for the caterpillar. DH gets so mad at all the trips I make to that place. I really wish we had other options though. I did see the WalMarts around here are starting to carry fabric and craft supplies again, but in a very limited supply. And they don't have coupons, lol!

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I love that turtle quilt you made for Olivia! The knit talk is scaring me. I have some gorgeous knit fabric to make a skirt for me, though I'm still waiting on the pattern to arrive. Maybe I should get some cheaper knit and practice a bit first.

I started on P's costume last night. I just kinda winged the bodice layout by tracing one of her current dresses onto tracing paper. I think I already made the cut too small. This sewing thing, ugh. It's always something.

P is obsessed with fairies and fairy stuff. She's always reaching into her imaginary bag of pixie dust and sprinkling it on us to fly...so I made her a real bag for pixie dust. It actually came out pretty well. Maybe I can pry it out of her hands for a second to take a picture of it. Mistake 1--I put a little pixie dust in the bag-glitter-and now of course glitter is EVERYWHERE. Should have seen that problem that a mile away.

I started to sew these cute little decorative flower buttons on her bag, but whoa, buttons are a pain, aren't they? I made it through 2 before calling it quits. Any tricks on button sewing?

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Oh yeah, I was looking for pool filters at Walmart, and ran into the fabric aisle there. Lo and behold, the filters were on the end of the fabric aisle. That's Walmart for you. Random junque everywhere!

7. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Our Walmart JUST got fabric back in, but their selection is far from stellar. And, no coupons, lol! So get this, I came up ONE PIECE short on the dinosaur bodies after cutting them. I guess the flannel shrunk a little more than expected. So I ended up going to the Joann's by my parent's to see if they had it...NOPE! BUT...they had their solid flannel on sale for 2.99!! Not sure why the one by me doesn't have it on sale. Anyway, luckily I had my list of pieces and sizes and my 20% off coupon so I got the stuff for Caitlin's blanket. I ended up piecing some scraps together on the quilting lines for the piece that I was short. I don't think you will be able to tell too much, especially if you don't know it's pieced, but I know it will drive me nuts, lol!

Knits are a bit of a pain, but I find them easier to work with on the serger. Definitely prewash/dry to shrink the fabric before you cut it. It depends on the knit, but sometimes the edges like to curl. They were REALLY bad on the red and white striped stuff which made it a real pain, so try not to stretch it at all (that's what makes it curl). I sewed her costume on the serger so I didn't use a walking foot, but you will definitely want to on a regular machine. Also remember the ball point needle, or you may end up with little holes (ask me how I know, lol!)

And totally non baby or crafting related, but since DG mentioned pool filters I wanted to tell you what I did with ours. I had our filter totally rigged, haha. First, I hated that stupid venturi vacuum that came with it. I hated adding water to the pool every time I vacuumed, and you could see the fine dirt go straight out the mesh bag back into the pool. So I got a regular pool vacuum hose, rigged the vacuum head that came with the pool to fit on the end of the hose by wrapping the end of the hose with electrical tape until I got a tight fit, then connected the hose to the hose that comes out of the wall and into the skimmer (a 1 1/2" pool hose was a perfect fit!). Between the hoses I put an old cut up pantyhose to catch the big stuff. So then I could use the filter to vacuum the pool. The filter wasn't exactly powerful enough to do a great job, but it did MUCH better than the setup that came with the pool. And the pantyhose caught all of the bigger stuff before making it to the filter. I left the pantyhose there even while it was connected to the skimmer which saved lots of dirt even getting to the filter. So I would just hose of the filter and reuse. I had bought some extra filters but never used them! Once I'm back to work and have a bit more money to throw around I want to upgrade our pump and filter for next summer so hopefully it will do more on it's own.

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

That's a great freaking idea about the pool vacuum. One which I'm going to steal and rig up asap. I have 2 filter bags on ours, but it still does nothing for the fine silt--and that's the majority of what is in the pool. Once the silt balloons up and clouds up the pool during the so-called act of cleaning, the filter is too puny to clear up the water for a day or so...by which time the silt has settled back down to the bottom of the pool! So frustrating, and I was too cheap to spend $50 on a vacuum that hooks into the filter line. The rig-up will work perfectly!!!

The only thing the vacuum had going for it was adding water to the pool, since our evaporation rate is so high, lol!!

Yeah, next summer I'm getting a sand filter and saltwater pump. Something like this but for smaller pools: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-56681EG-Filter-Saltwater-System/dp/B004DCANOE

9. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Haha, our pool was forever overflowing, so I hated adding water to it! I think DH was quite impressed with my rigging. I was doing some reading and found that the Intex stuff is sized weird so you can't just get standard stuff. That is why I had to wrap the end of the hose with some electrical tape to get it to snugly fit inside the vacuum head. The pole is also a weird size so you can't just go buy a new vacuum head and use the existing pole. That is why I rigged it, in an attempt to save some money. The saltwater generator is awesome. I want to upgrade to a sand filter as well. I'm hoping with that I won't have to do as much vacuuming since the bigger pump will move more water. Most days by the time I was done vacuuming I didn't want to get in anymore or something else was going down with the kids.

One note of advice...turn your pump on BEFORE hooking up the vacuum. Then take the open end of the hose (the end that gets attached to the hose going to the filter) and hold it in front of the filter return to fill it with water. Then keeping it under water connect it to the hose. You don't want any air in the hose when you hook it to the filter. Once you get it hooked open up the top valve on the filter to release any air that might have gotten in before you actually start to vacuum. You can message me with any questions you might have as to how I did it so we don't totally hijack this thread, haha!

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Thanks for the tips, labby!

I already messed up P's costume. I sewed up the bodice, and it was a little snug, but doable. But, I somehow sliced the front in 2 parts. So I made a little skirt for her, but her dad thinks it's too toddlers in tiaras. It's a little glitzy and glamour, but not THAT bad. And I made it in about 15 minutes, so I'm not sure it will even hold up for a whole school-day.

11. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

okay, labby or bg, maybe you can help me. I made a skirt this weekend from this pattern: http://www.stitchinpost.com/images/patterns_girlfriends/isabellecover-web.jpg As you can see in the picture, it has little hip notches (so called in the pattern). The notches were little sideways Ts. Anyway, I had no idea how to sew the notches (same thing as a 'dart'?), and just winged it and sewed around the T. My skirt kinda turned out how it should, but the notches need some work. I LOVE how most of the skirt turned out, and want to make a couple more...so do you have any advice on how to sew the notches? I asked the pattern makers on FaceBook, and I'll see if they answer.

The skirt I made was knit, and it wasn't too hard to use. I used a ballpoint needle. My machine manual recommends a twin needle for knits, which I tried, but it kept snagging the fabric into the machine. I even extended the stitch like the manual recommended, to no avail. I even used fusible interfacing! The instructions for the interfacing were also vague...I mean, clearly there are two different sides and nowhere on the instructions was it listed what side to put down on the fabric! Frustrating...sewing instructions everywhere seem to be written for people who already know what they are doing. We have to tell people that hot coffee may scald one's skin, but just wing it with hip darts and interfacing, lol!!

12. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I just looked up "darts" online, and the hip notches are not the same as sewing a dart. Well, maybe it's a type of dart and I should have folded instead of cut the little Ts. Hopefully the Stitchin Post folks will get back to me.

Now I'm looking up notches and I'm still not sure what I should have done with my notches.

I should probably take a sewing class. There are too many answers on the internet!

ETA: Okay, last night I should have read a little further down on the google search. I understand notches and clips now, thanks internet. Though I still don't quite under the sideways T, I can probably figure it out.

13. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Wow. I've been sewing a long time and have no idea what a sideways T is. Fromt he pic, looks like pretty normal darts to me, but w/o seeing the pattern, can't confirm. What I suspect is that it is meant to be a dart which you accomplish by bringing the two arms of the T together with the length of the T serving as the fold and the end serving as the point of the dart. But seems a silly way to draw a pattern. Notches on the other hand are (typically) the little triangles along the patterns edge that serve as guides for piecing everything together; OR the little triangles you cut out along a curve. Neither look like T's on any pattern I have seen though.

If the skirt looks about right, you probably did it right, the darts just may need some finess (can take a while to get them right).

Just my two cents. [​IMG]

14. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Yes, hwg, that's it--I just tried it on a piece of paper. All I needed was a super simple description. Huh, would have been much easier to sew than the way I did. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

15. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Yay! Glad it worked!

16. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Glad it worked out for you, DG! I was going to say pretty much the same thing as HWG did. I also have never seen the "T" thing on a pattern, but I haven't sewn much with darts or pleats.

I'm currently working on Caitlin's hair for Halloween. Man did I way underestimate how much work it would be, lol! I crocheted a simple sc hat and am tying strands of yarn to it. I tried coming up with a way of crocheting them on and then cutting them all, but I just couldn't come up with a way that was secure enough since I know little hands will probably be pulling at it. I originally intended to put hair over the whole thing and then put it in pigtails but then I got smart and am only doing around the edges to save on time, yarn, and the weight of the hat! Hopefully I will have it done in time for Halloween on top of all of the other projects I have. I just sold two more crayon cases so those are taking top priority right now!

17. BunnyGirl19

I've never seen t-shaped darts before either, but the majority of darts I've made are long triangle shapes like on a blouse for the boob area (I always have to move them up because apparently my boobs are higher than normal people, lol). Glad HWG explained it for you.

I know someone on here was asking about training pants. I saw at Joann's today Babyville had little pattern pamphlet thingies (smaller and mot as in depth as a book) for soakers, training pants/swim diaper, and a double gusseted diaper. I bought all three of them and the two new project books (I've still never bought their diaper book). I haven't looked at any of them yet, but was interested mainly in the training pants potentially for RJ.

18. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I'll have to check those out as I'm going to Joann's tomorrow for my weekly run, lol. I need to get some pink felt to make pig ears and a nose for Olivia's costume and I have some other random things to get. I better write this stuff down because now I can't remember half the things I wanted to get!

19. BunnyGirl19

They have 4 new prints of PUL too. White with primary color robits, blue checked western print, pink and brown leopard spot on ivory, and a dark pink with white pindot print. They have old fashioned diaper pins too with the closures being the characters from their fabrics. RJ wanted the robots so I bought some. I'm going to make him a diaper with it in the not too distant future, hopefully. I'm having an even harder time getting things done since I've gone back to work. Brighton just outgrew his preemie/newborn diapers in the last week or two in terms of rise so he's in Pampers until I get his soakers all done (hopefully I'll get them cut the rest of the way so I can finish them). I tried the OS diapers on him that say they fit 8-35 pounds, but they are huge and don't fit right yet. I was hoping since he's a little over 9 pounds that they would.

20. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I contacted the Stitchin Post, the pattern producer, about the sideways T, and was told that it's just a tiny notch to line up the fabric panels. And it's clearly stated in the instructions! Duh! But I was informed in a slightly more polite way. Haha. So glad I asked! Makes the skirt even more simple to sew and I'm definitely going to make more.

Ha, BG, the one size dipes didn't even fit P till she was 6 weeks old, and she weighed a lot more than B at that age.