Crafting Moms!

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by HWG#2, Feb 7, 2012.

1. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I also recommend using ballpoint needles to avoid breaking the fibers in the knit, which can then turn into holes.

2. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Yes! Another good tip, BG! I was rushing and not paying attention when I did the hem on one of my maternity shirts and used a regular universal needle. It put little holes all around it so I ended up having to cut it off and re-hem it so it's a little shorter than I would have liked, but it's ok. I learned to use ball points the hard way with embroidering. When I first got my embroidery machine I did this cute onesie but used a regular universal needle. It looked great until I washed it and it totally fell apart around the embroidery! Lesson learned, but I still sometimes forget to change needles, especially if I'm in a hurry!

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Thanks for the tips! The Whimsy Couture patterns seem easy to follow--she also sent out tutorials and tips with the patterns (which mention the same things) so this new stuff is not so intimidating.

4. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

HWG, merino is wool. [​IMG] Merino is a breed og sheep. Love the wool they give though! Very soft and not itchy at all. I usually merino.

Pattern for that shawl is here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gathering-leaves

I agree on the prices also, labby.

I've ventured in to knitting! It's a bit blech to start from scratch in a craft, I'm too eager to get to the more complicated stuff. This is my first knit creation, a very simple bulky cowl from merino wool.

[​IMG]

5. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Thanks for the pattern, kawaii! Ahhh...I get it. Some of the yarn I bought was labeled wool/merino blend, so while i thought it was wool, I started to wonder (and didn't bother w/ Google [​IMG] ). Great job on the knitting! I hear you-I hate starting something new because I want to be advanced at it!

DG-shop is "momnnats", but it is sparse right now (see toddler thread for rant on fussy kids [​IMG] ). PM me if you are looking for something for P and I'll see what I can do!

Here is a little vest I made for my friends daughter. First piece of clothing!

[​IMG]

And a hat I made for my Goddaugher:

[​IMG]

6. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Those are adorable, HWG! Makes me want to get in to crocheting again, but like I have time for that!

I got a few things accomplished while away on our trip this past weekend, but not near what I thought I would. To be honest, I just kind of liked sitting there doing absolutely nothing even though my brain kept telling me I should be working on something. The fishing was crap (very low water) so DH was around more than I thought he would be and it was nice to just sit with him and stare at the campfire. I got a few pencil cases made, but then stupid me put them in some water to dissolve the stabilizer and the black fabric ran a little bit into the yellow, so how I have to try to get that cleaned up before I try to sell them. I hope it comes out or they are basically trash unless I try to sell them as seconds. I did make a smaller version of the diaper clutch without the pocket on the back which turned out really cute. I think I may try to sell it as a small make up bag or something.

7. labby06

labby06 Active Member

8. labby06

labby06 Active Member

9. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Those are soooo cute! Sometimes I wish I knew how to knit also. But, like kawaii, I don't like beginner stage when I can't make anything really cool. Too impatient!

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

We do y'all get fabric online? I've used fabric.com a few times, and everytime they mess up my order. Plus side, I get to keep the wrong stuff they send, and they do end up sending the correct stuff eventually, but I'm kind of done dealing with their screw ups. This latest time they kept insisting they didn't send the pattern, therefore, they didn't charge me. Umm...actually, I was sent the wrong pattern, and my bank statement really disagrees with the "non-charge." I may end up making a dress from the wrong pattern, so nah-nah to you, fabric.com.

I went to Joann's the other day and actually had friendly service, and fabrics were way cheaper there as well. It was nice to touch and feel everything, but truth is, I really do prefer to shop from the computer.

11. BunnyGirl19

Really, it depends on what type of fabric I need as to where I get it, but I've always had great service with fabric.com. I have like a million and one local fabric stores though, so it's mostly diaper fabric I get online. What type are you looking for? Maybe I'll have some suggestions for you.

12. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I always go to Joann's and never buy unless it's on sale or I have a coupon. I've only ever really bought diaper fabric online because Joann's didn't carry it at the time I was making them. I hate buying online though because the shipping cost usually kills it unless you get enough to get free shipping which usually ends up being one of those deals where I spend even more money just to not pay for shipping. There is another fabric place around here I've gone to, but they specialize in drapery and upholstery and while they have do have some quilting type fabrics, their selection is pretty slim. I'm going today to a place near my parents that is run by the Amish in hopes of finding a red and white striped knit fabric so I can finish Olivia's Olivia costume. If they don't have any there then I will have to resort to online, and Etsy is the only place I can find that even has what I am looking for. By the time all is said and done it will cost me around $14 for a yard which is just nuts, but what are you going to do.

13. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Nothing special, BG, just fabrics for clothing (for me or P). I went through a minky phase, and fabric.com satisfied that 'craving.'

What I like about fabric.com is that they have that design board, and recommendations, and I find it easy to pull cool combos together. At the real store, I'm like, holy crap, way overwhelmed!!

14. BunnyGirl19

Natures Fabric has a lot of t-shirt materials, knit and interlock, in cotton and bamboo, solids and prints. So does Cherry Bomb fabrics. One if my favorite fabric stores is Spandex World, but they sell almost exclusively lycra. For woven fabrics or other types (like corduroy) I just google for it or try my local fabric stores.

15. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Thanks, BG! Nature's Fabric actually has 1 yard of what I'm looking for available which I think would be enough, but of course the shipping is almost as much as the fabric itself! And of all places they are in PA (in the complete opposite corner of the state!) which means sales tax which just makes it worse! Amazon just started charging PA sales tax last week which ticked a lot of people off, but I knew that was coming. They are pushing for ALL internet retailers to collect tax and you are supposed to report any untaxed purchases on your income tax, but who really does that. Anyway, I'm still trying to come to terms with having to pay 14 bucks for 1 yard of fabric for a darn Halloween costume. I really didn't think it would be that hard to find the red and white striped stuff when we decided on Olivia the Pig. But in better news, I got the actual dress done aside from the hem and it looks super cute and Olivia loves to wear it, so hopefully we won't have the fight this year that we did last year to get her Rapunzel dress on!

16. BunnyGirl19

I know you are supposed to collect sales tax on internet orders if you have a physical location in the state of sale. I live in Oregon and have no sales tax, but if I had a physical location in say California, I'd have to collect and report sales tax on all orders from/to California. It would be too prohibitive for a small business if they had to collect and report sales tax for every single sale for each state regardless of physical presence in those states. They're just making it harder and harder to do business anymore.

I'm worrying about catching up my bills I'm behind on that I'm not sure what I'll be able to afford to do for RJ's costume although I've got a monster costume for Brighton. My disability paperwork has somehow gotten delayed so I've had 6 weeks with no income of any kind, plus during that time someone somehow stole my debit card and credit card and wiped out all the money in my bank account that I'd saved ahead of time. It's being investigated and the credit card part is fixed (only liable for $50 of the several thousand they charged), but the bank account is more tricky. It's iffy if I'll get the money back due to there not being the same protections as with credit cards and the credit union says it'll take up to 90 days to investigate and know if the theft falls into a protected category where I'd get my money back. I'm allegedly supposed to get a disability check sometime around the 20th and I'm supposed to get $500 a week for those 6 weeks (I only get half pay on short-term disability), but I can't help but think things will get all screwed up and I won't get all that I'm entitled to either. I'm also still waiting on a settlement from my car accident in April, but I have no timeframe on that. I literally have $7 in my bank account right now. [​IMG]

17. iampam

iampam Active Member

I have a business here in WA. Orders I ship in-state, I have to charge sales tax on. If I am shipping elsewhere, I do not. When you are a huge company like Amazon, it gets a lot trickier.

As far as Halloween costumes, I don't care if it's for halloween or not, but I really want to get/make a ghost costume for Eddie. The building we live in is supposedly haunted, and there are amazing photo ops here. A local band is shooting a music video in my building this weekend! Anyway it would be the cutest thing in the world to have this adorable ghost in the creepy haunted building. I do worry about him being able to see though. I don't have an ounce of creative skills, nor do I have much energy, so I imagine I'll end up buying something.

18. BunnyGirl19

I kinda want RJ to be a bat or a spider, but not really set on anything.

19. labby06

labby06 Active Member

The fight here with Amazon is that they have warehouses, which the state now says counts as a "local presence." There are certain things that aren't taxed in PA, so I can at least still buy disposables when I need them from Amazon and not pay tax, but it kind of sucks for everything else. It's just another thing to take into consideration when looking for the best price on things. I read a lot of people complaining that they will no longer buy from Amazon because of it, which I totally don't get. It's not their fault and it's not like they are making more money off it. If anything it's more of a hassle for them, too. I'm not going to stop buying because of it, but as I have always done I will go with whoever has the best price, even after tax.

I gave Olivia a few options of what to be for Halloween since she's getting old enough to somewhat understand it and make a decision. I showed her a bunch of costumes and she picked Olivia the Pig. I was pretty happy about that because it's a fairly simple costume to make, and she can wear it to play around in too. I just need to get the red and white striped fabric for the shirt and leggings, and then get some pink felt to make ears and a nose for her. I have a feeling those won't go over too well though, lol! Even with the 14 bucks it will cost for the one yard of red and white striped fabric the costume will still end up being pretty cheap. I got the red knit for the dress on sale and with an additional 20% off so it ended up being like 2 or 3 bucks. Felt is dirt cheap, so when all is said and done this costume will cost under $20. Last year's Rapunzel costume ended up being almost $50 by the time I was done with it and she refused to wear it!

20. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I actually got Caitlin to take a pretty decent nap today and finally finished the crochet tote for HWG! Here it is! It will be in the mail today [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]