Crafting Moms!

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by HWG#2, Feb 7, 2012.

1. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Okay-since we are all moms of babies & toddlers, I figured we could start this thread here, right?

So here we go! A place to share our latest projects, patterns, etc.

I'll kick it off with the apron I just made for J and an upcycled t-shirt turned toddler pants (I think I'm in love [​IMG] ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see everyone's latest!

2. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Awww!! Cute HWG!!

I wish I had something to add, and I love crocheting and cross stitching and such, but I just have no time. I started crocheting a blanket for Sofia before becoming pregnant with #2, and I havent touched it in months!

3. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Those are adorable, HWG! I started making a long sleeved smock for Olivia (she's super messy, lol!) but kind of screwed my pattern up so it doesn't fit so well and I never got around to doing another. The project I'm working on now are Valentine cards for day care, so no sewing projects in the works at the moment but a huge list of stuff I want to do. Ok, so I lie, there are quite a few projects "in the works" that I never finished. Maybe I should do those before moving on to something new, lol!

I found this awesome blackboard fabric at Joann's the other day. I never knew such a thing existed! I made Olivia a travel dry-erase case that I'm thinking of changing up and making it dry-erase on one side and chalkboard on the other. That will probably be my next project and I plan to post it on Etsy.

I've also been thinking about pinning the crayon case I have on Etsy onto Pinterest, but I'm afraid of actually getting an influx of orders that I won't have time to do! While I want to sell things, I want it to be at a slow enough pace that I can keep up with, lol!

4. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Nessa-honestly, I stopped crafting/sewing/crocheting for at least 18 mos after J was born. They are pretty labor intensive during that time and my work schedule was out of control. You'll get back to it!

I hear ya, labby. I have always wanted to be more aggressive about selling stuff, but in the end, I couldn't keep up if I wanted to and I don't want to be a slave to the machine. I'll stick w/ projects for my kiddo's and gifts for now. I;m with you-half started projects...I have crafting-ADD sometimes!

Okay...totally addicted. I took one of DH's size L T-Shirts tonight and turned it into a 4T T-Shirt for J! It was SOOO easy and looks like a regular shirt! Okay-I need to tweak the sleeves a little, but really...it's pretty darn close! I went through the dressers this morning and from what I found, I am pretty sure I have enough stuff for at least half of J's summer play clothes and some PJ's! All free! Now, can I actually get this done before baby arrives??

5. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

Yay, crafts thread! Awesome!

This is how that blanket I told you about in the toddler thread turned out. The green thing is either a big pillow I crocheted or a small footrest for H's room. As for now I love the color so it stays in the chair. It's stuffed with scissored up old clothes, so kinda upcycled? lol!
    Can you tell I have a thing for the sixties retro revival? [​IMG] I love old furniture!

[​IMG]

labby, I ordered a handmade crochet hook case from Etsy, and the woman doing it was backordered. She was completely upfront about it and told me it wouldn't be mailed until three weeks. Since she mailed it when she said she would it was no biggie to me at all. I'm sure you could even put a disclaimer in the Etsy listing if you get many orderes and see you're lagging a bit behind.
    I say go for it!

Any tips on upcycling clothes if you don't have a sewing machine would be great. Please share links!

6. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Gorgeous, Kawaii! The blanket is just beautiful! I love the little foot-rest/pillow also. Very chic!

Well, as for upcycling w/o a sewing machine, how about t-shirt sachets/dryer bags. They are pretty tiny so you could sew them up by hand. I made one last night w/ dried orange and lemon peel. Washing a load of towels now to see how the smell comes out of the dryer. I also made one of these bags yesterday ( http://www.leethal.net/zine/?p=1344 ). Mine was lined & sewn at the bottom, but these look really cool, too (great for a day-trip bag, etc.). I'm pretty new to the concept, so I don't have much else to contribute in that area. Will keep an eye out, though!

7. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

Thanks, HWG! I forgot to say I love the apron you made, what a great pattern! (Especially for a dog person like myself [​IMG] )

I don't have a dryer, so not much point. Well, now that I think of it I could try to make one for my sister... Do you have a link?

Those bags are really cool! I was looking into crocheting a grocerybag, but was afraid it would turn out too stretchy. I guess it could really work with cotton yarn though.
    I looked at this (is linen cotton) http://www.purlbee.com/crocheted-linen-grocery-tote/ and want to make one with smaller holes maybe, and with comfortable handles. It would hardly take up any space at all in my purse so it should be practical.

8. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

That bag is crazy-cute Kawaii. I really like those bags. I think there was a pattern for an all cotton one on one of the Cream & Sugar yarns I purchased last month. I'll let you know if I find it.

For the sachets, I didn't find a pattern. Just cut 3-4" squares and sew them together. You can put whatever herb you prefer inside. You don't have to use them in the dryer-can be in a drawer or cupboard to add some freshness. They are nice little gifts, too!

9. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

Maybe with lavender to put with my wool yarn to avoid moth. Hm, I think I must try this. Thanks!

Yeah, that grocery bag is really cute. They have tons of cute things on that blog, I have made a lot of stuff from there. The last thing I made is their two color cowl for my friends birthday. I'll get a pic before I give it away. I wish I could afford their yarn though, some of it looks so scrumtious!

Another good place for cute knit or crochet patterns is http://www.pickles.no/ (patterns in english on the right side)
    I'm contemplating to learn how to knit. I love crochet so much though, it feels like betrayal! lol
    Buuut, trying to make this for my niece is such a motivation. It's so pretty!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Love that sweater, Kawaii!

Made another T-Shirt and a pair of plaid shorts (from one of DH's old flannel shirt) for J yesterday. They were SO quick and came out so good! I really am in love with this "upcycling" thing. 2 shirts, a pair of pants and a pair of shorts later with only a couple hours invested and $0! As much as J beats the crap out of his play clothes, I would much prefer making them than buying them!

Bummed that my citrus sachets didn't make my laundry smell lovely. The sachets themselves smell AMAZING, but they imparted no smell in the dryer...need to re-think this...

11. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Sorry to hear about the sachets, HWG. Our new dryer has a steam option so I stopped using anything in the dryer as far as dryer sheets and just use the steam to help reduce static.

My crafting ADD has gotten the best of me again, lol! Instead of working on the Moby or cutting fabric for some Etsy projects I want to do I ended up trying my hand at dying again (haha, that sounds kinda morbid!) I don't know if anyone remembers, but a long while back, probably like a year, DH dropped bleach on my FAVORITE pair of gray work pants. They fit like jeans, but were a gray cotton material and super comfy and I loved them. I also only paid 10 bucks for them, but only wore them like twice before he did this. I wore them a few times with the bleach stains since they were kind of inconspicuous, but with washing the stains got worse and one was right at the crotch, and area I'd prefer not to draw attention to. I got some dye and tried to dye them a while back but I wasn't happy with the results. They then got thrown in the bottom of my closet and I got pregnant and they were kind of forgotten about. While resurrecting my pre-pregnancy pants I came across them again, and for some reason got the urge to try dying them again, so they are on the stove right now in a pot of gray dye. I used more dye this time to get them darker and so far they are looking good. We'll see if it lasts once they get rinsed and washed. So much for my cutting fabric today, lol! But at least I'll have a new pair of pants to wear again (I hope!)

12. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

HWG, the sachets sound like they'd be lovely in drawers or closets. You may need to use essential oils to get them to work in the dryer.

And I step out....as I have no right to be in a crafty thread!!

13. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Good luck, labby! Nothing worse than having to say goodbye to a favorite item of clothing!

Thanks, DG! Good idea...will give that a try.

14. labby06

labby06 Active Member

They came out great! I think using more of the dye was the key. Last time once I rinsed/washed them you could still see the weird khaki-ish color coming through and they just didn't look right. Yay for being able to wear them again!

While I was putting some clothes away in Olivia's room today I came across some 24 month Carter's onesies that I had bought long ago in a 4 or 5 pack that I was going to embroider stuff on. I think I did like 2. So I decided to take the others and dye them as well and will embroider something on them and try to sell them. I did one with the pants so it is gray. I had a pack of purple dye left from fixing a pair of Olivia's pants that had been bleached at day care but I screwed them up and forgot to use the fixative with them so they lightened up and the color bleeds if you wash them with anything (ask me how I found that out, lol!) so I decided to redo them and do the other onesie purple. And I DID use the fixative this time! Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to put on the onesies. I'm thinking of maybe doing something Easter-ish on the purple one and maybe a train or something on the gray one.

15. Myste

Myste New Member

No pics, but I've been really crafty lately, in about 8 different directions. I'm working on a neck pillow/rice sack/handwarmer/eye pillow set for my MIL, changing pads for the boys, just finishing up valentines for the grandparents that I made with Wes, a valentine for hubby and my dad, and digital scrapbooking stuff that needs a total re-organization. I made a few pairs of pants with scrap material but they're functional but not pretty, as I was more testing the pattern than trying to make real pants. I also have material to make a couple of rag quilts for them - Cat in the Hat for Wes and dinosaurs for Alex. Picked up fabric and patterns to make some jammies for the boys too... after I finish the 9 billion projects I've started!

16. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

17. Myste

Myste New Member

HWG, I used http://www.danamadeit.com/2008/07/tutorial-and-pattern-kid-pants-the-basic-pants.html for making my pants, although I used an existing pair to make my pattern instead of theirs. Wes's was fine but I forgot to stretch the waistband on Alex's when I made the pattern so they're hard to get on/off.

I finally got a couple pics of my latest projects.

Changing pads : [​IMG]

and a sleepsack: [​IMG]

I love the sleepsack fabric and I think I have enough left over for a pair of PJ pants for myself!

18. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I still haven't gotten to the onesies, lol! I have them dyed but that's about it. I'm still contemplating what to put on them. I also got sidetracked onto another project, lol!

I'm making canvas Easter buckets for the girls for egg hunts and might use them as their Easter baskets as well. I had some errands to run today so I stopped at Joann's and got the fabric. I came across these on Pinterest and really liked them but didn't like the price or the crappy fabric it seems they use from the one review on it, so I'm modeling mine after them. I got the pattern drawn up the other day and got everything cut and the main basket part and the handle sewn up. I just finished digitizing their names to go on them, so I will hopefully get to stitch that out tomorrow and maybe even get them finished up. I'll post pics when they are done, but so far they are looking really cute! I'll be interested to see how my bucket pattern works out since I'm not so good when it comes to circles, lol! If they turn out nice I may even post them on Etsy.

19. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Love the sleep-sack Myste! The fabric is adorable!

labby-those baskets will be super-cute!! Post pics when you are done!

Haven't finished much around here these days...but I do have lots a pieces cut and ready. Maybe I will have some time tomorrow...

20. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

Kawaii, cute pillow. What yarn/size hook did you use? Also, I'd stick with crochet. I taught myself to knit, and realized I'd wasted my time, because knitting takes so much longer and it took me a whole afternoon to learn the basics. I could have crocheted a small toy or a whole scarf in that time!

That is the cutest sleep sack I've seen. Love that material!

Speaking of sleep sacks. Ty doesn't wear them anymore, so I used one sleep sack and a pair of pants that were too short to make some pj's. I didn't use a pattern or a tutorial...I was so proud of myself! I'll try to post pics later. [​IMG]

I'll see if I can find some of the inspirational links that I've used for upcycling.