Cloth Diapering - Part 4

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by gutterflower, Dec 10, 2011.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. labby06

labby06 Active Member

So I measured Olivia and here is what her measurements were:

Wasit: 20"
    Thighs: 13"
    Rise: 16"

I measured the rise from just below her belly button, down around the crotch to around the same area on her back. Going by those measurements she should be in the extra large according to the pattern, but the large fits her much better. The rise measurement on the pattern is going to be much larger though to account for all of the stuffing. I may try to do another extra large for her, but make the waistband and cuffs the size of the large and see how that works. Let me know Allie's measurements and we'll see how she compares and then I will get one together for you. The sizing is definitely going to be the hardest part of getting something ready to sell. I may just have to post them really cheap to just cover materials and shipping and ask for feedback in return since I don't know a whole lot of kids this age with parents willing to even try cloth to test them for me!

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Labby I put a reminder in my phone to measure her tomorrow evening. I'm headed back to work, gonna be a hectic day. But I'm excited to try out your special design! [​IMG] Stay tuned!

Also... This co-op I am in has arranged for custom diapers from Happy Flute. They picked out a bunch of cute prints, and they will have square tabs of a contrasting color fabric, plus coordinating color snaps. There are especially cute boy prints! Like I said, real mixed feelings about these imported "knock off"'diapers, but the cuteness and cost are hard to resist! So am getting a few for Lily and even some as gifts for two other people. Just a few dollars each (but inserts are separate). If anyone is interested in the link to join the co-op and check it out, let me know! They are trying to get more people into the group, which helps meet minimums for orders. You don't have to order if you join, if you are just curious to see what they have.

3. iampam

iampam Active Member

Well more of my Tutto inserts are starting to all fall apart [​IMG] But you know what's rocking my socks? My cheap JC Trade pocket diapers! I got a bunch of Christmas prints and LOVE them. They run big which works well for Eddie, he's on the biggest rise but the tabs are still touching and the hip snaps are on the tightest setting, so there is plenty of growing room. I am using my bamboo inserts from my Blueberry diapers, but also ordering a bunch of charcoal bamboo/MF blend inserts from my co-op.

I love the Tuttos but I am getting tired of all the snapping. The inserts don't seem like they will last for more than one kid, and they would be $15+ to replace. My China cheapie diapers are like $3-$5, so even if a few are duds or they fall apart after a few months (which I don't see happening, the quality seems great), they're still a better deal.

4. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I like the JC Trade and QQ Baby I got for RJ this summer. I don't like that they are stay-dry but they seem to fit him fine. They are a little big in the legs for Brighton still though. I bought them because they were cheap and I didn't want to keep buying disposables just because I didn't have time to make RJ bigger diapers.

5. iampam

iampam Active Member

Yeah the JC Trade diapers seem huge, I can't imagine them fitting a little baby until 15lbs +. I don't think Eddie is going to potty train for a long time, so I think we'll get our money's worth and then some out of them.

6. BunnyGirl19

Brighton is in the 13 lb range right now, but long and skinny like RJ, so it may be a bit longer than 15 lb for us.

I don't know if RJ will potty train soon or not. Some days he's right in top of things telling me he's gone and needs a new diaper or even beforehand so I can hold him on the potty (I really need a ring for our house too), but he'll only sometimes go when I put him on the potty. Other days, nothing at all and we have to chase him down and tackle him to change his diaper. I'm going to start attempting to potty train for sure once he's 2 and hopefully get him mostly day trained by fall. I'd love to have him trained before #3 gets here, but I'm not particularly optimistic about it.

7. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I tossed most of my tutto inserts because they fell apart. The others I still have but will probably toss them soon too because they don't absorb well anymore. I even cut off the stay dry but they don't seem to hold much. I use flats folded up in the tutto shells which has been working pretty well. I thin the stay dry was the cause of all of my leaking issues even with the covers I made. I tossed most of them but kept a few and those also work great with a flat laid in them instead of stuffing the pocket. I quash I would have tried the flats with Olivia. I still love them!

8. BunnyGirl19

You can get cheap, cute flats by buying flannel receiving blankets as well.

9. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Quick funny diaper story. Usually when we get home I put Caitlin right in the high chair and give her a small snack while getting dinner ready. Tonight she was super whiny in the high chair but I was busy getting dinner so DH picked her up out of the chair and said well no wonder she's mad, she's soaked! So I asked if he would change her so he takes her back and then I hear him yell, "What the heck is this?!?!" So I go back to see what he's talking about to find that she had on the PSU diaper cover I made, BACKWARDS!! DH couldn't figure out how to get it off because he couldn't see the tabs because they were all the way around her back. I'm assuming maybe one of the high school helpers had changed her since I've sent that diaper a ton of times both with Caitlin and Olivia so our regular provider has changed it many times, unless she's putting it on backwards every time! I don't really understand how anyone could not tell the front from back, though!

10. iampam

iampam Active Member

11. iampam

iampam Active Member

Well I have a ridiculous newborn stash and it's been fun trying them out. So far my faves are the Lil Joeys/THX. I don't know how long they'll work for us, but they fit great now and are nice and easy. I bought some Ashar fitteds in size 0 and they are teeeeny! Linnea is so stinking long though that she is pretty skinny and they fit her really well, though I'm sure they'll only last a week. Bunny, if you ever wanted to try a newborn fitted, these would work well for your tiny kiddos.

I bought a bunch of stuff on clearance from Blueberry/Swaddlebees. The pockets are still too big, I had a leg gap that she peed right out of, but the simplex fit fine. The velcro Alvas seem to fit fine too, just haven't tried them much yet. Oh and I have a single Tots Bots Tiny Fit and that fit well too.

Eddie is now 100% switched over to Alva/JC Trade with CBIs and we only have leaks if DH forgets to change him or gives him like 3+ bottles at nap time. I've been able to triple stuff them for nighttime and they actually work, and I NEVER thought we could get a pocket diaper to work overnight.

12. BunnyGirl19

I like my JC Trade diapers on RJ. Brighton started fitting them around 6 months without leg gap. The problem with my kids are that they are long and skinny so they outgrow the rise long before they outgrow the waist settings. It makes them a bit difficult to fit well without leaks.

I just started attempting to potty train RJ a week ago. He's managed to go on the potty a few times, but he has far too many accidents for most of the cloth trainers out there at this point. He doesn't quite seem to recognize the sensation before he has to go, more right at the moment he's about to start going and he doesn't make it to the potty or be able to tell me to take him quickly enough. He's doing a little better though. Right now I've got him in Pull Ups until he stops having so many accidents. He's excited over them because he loves Cars. Right now we're going through about three of them a day with his accidents versus 6-7 cloth diapers.

13. iampam

iampam Active Member

I think I found a good solution (for me) to the Itti Bitti insert problem! I have a small SIO for Linnea, and found that the small size babyland CBIs with elastic gussets fit in them perfectly. I added snaps, and bam, new insert. I'll play with adding snaps to a small all-bamboo insert to use layered underneath on the other snaps. The same insert works on the Tuttos on the smallest size, or the one size inserts work on the Tuttos when they are snapped bigger.

14. BunnyGirl19

That does sound like a nice, cheaper solution!

I just bought two pink bunny print THX newborn diapers which are identical to Lil Joeys (same manufacturer). I know they'll barely absorb and leak fast, but they were cute. Oh, and it appears there aren't going to be many options out there for double gusset diapers now. The Rumparooz people got the patent for it anout a week ago.

I started on my girly stash about two weeks ago and it seems overwhelming and impossible that I'll have them done in time for her arrival. I did decide to suck it up and make some fitteds (my least favorite to sew) with nonstretchy outers this time and I bought four Blueberry Mini Coveralls to put over them. I'd really like to minimize disposable use this time. I just can't seem to get DF to use cloth much, or his family at all, and if they do they don't change often enough and complain they leak. My mom changes them regularly, but all my kids seem to fall asleep close to changing time and wake up soggy and leaking.

Does anyone have experience with Blueberry Trainers? I was looking at getting some for RJ.

15. iampam

iampam Active Member

I have a ton of THX and I keep buying more from co-ops haha. I am selling my Lil Joeys after seeing how crazy the ladies at Kanga Care are, I don't want to support that company. My newest THX are in the wash now, they have a charcoal bamboo inner and a pocket if you want to add extra absorbency. Linnea isn't usually too heavy of a wetter, most of my leaks have been from the legs not being tight enough, not from overpeeing. With her not gaining enough weight, they've fit way longer than expected.

I have some of the NB blueberry coveralls and they are fine. I feel like all of the NB covers are so big though. I also have Thirsties and Assunta and some other Blueberry brands. The Ashar size 0 fitteds are so trim and tiny, if that's all she has under a cover, it's swimming on her. But now I usually add another layer to those anyway.

16. BunnyGirl19

I ordered the butterfly print from a website and it was delivered to my mom's today so I probably won't get it until Monday. I ordered three more today (pink, butter, and giraffe) since it was payday. I have a pink XS Thirsties cover already and a size 0 Bright Star Baby from RJ which I recalled not having quite enough coverage over his Bitti Boo fitteds (weird since they are very trim fitting almost like a baby Speedo in coverage) but were fine with flats.

RJ was a very heavy wetter, Brighton definitely not as bad, but more on the heavy side than not. I'm hoping Callie is a light wetter so she'll be easy to diaper without all the absorbency and leak concerns.

17. iampam

iampam Active Member

I ordered several of the THX butterfly print but they said there was a problem with the PUL and we had to switch to other colors [​IMG]

18. BunnyGirl19

Oh, I meant for the Blueberry covers, not THX. Oops. The only THX I have are two pink bunny newborn diapers. Some co-op I belong to is running a newborn THX order, but I can't remember which one. They are without the DG, which is more than great for me. I'm not a fan of DG.

19. iampam

iampam Active Member

Ooh yeah the blueberry butterfly print is gorgeous, I have that in a NB pocket diaper. One of my favorites!

20. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

So ladies what are your faves and why? We're definitely into cloth but I am so overwhelmed thinking about starting out! The best ideas I've had so far from our local FB Cloth Diapering site is to do a trial with one of the local small businesses so that we can try without buying everything and then buy a bunch that we like after trying them out for a few weeks but I just. don't. know. Ahhh!