Cloth Diapering - Part 4

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by gutterflower, Dec 10, 2011.

1. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

Just doing some clean up and thought this topic needed a fresh beginning.

2. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I just got my gingerbread Tots Bots in the mail today. I can't wait to prep it along with my new Swaddlebees Simplex 2.0 so I can hopefully try them out on Monday. I'm a bit anxious about the Tots Bots though because it's OS and normally I don't care for OS much. Hopefully he's big enough that it won't be as much of a problem as OS were when he was tiny. It feels like an extremely trim diaper so I hope it's absorbant enough for me. The only drawback to it is that it's velcro, but I've seen multiple reviews where people said they hated velcro but liked Tots Bots.

3. BunnyGirl19

Has anybody in here ever used Sunbaby diapers before? They are super cheap OS diapers from China that apparently have quite the cult following. They come in super cute print PUL that changes every few months. A lot of the CD mommas from my DD thread on another forum really like them (they are pocket diapers with hip snaps) and someone is selling some of their duplicates so I was going to buy two to see what all the hype is about. The crazy thing about these diapers is that you can resell them for far more than they cost brand new because the prints are so limited and they start out really cheap to begin with. It's insane. A diaper that costs you around $7 brand new has been known to sell for over $30 regularly. That seems crazy to me, but I figured what the heck, a friend from my DD group is destashing some brand new, never been used ones from the latest print release (these particular prints are already sold out and they were released a couple weeks ago) and I asked for two of them from her. If all else fails and I don't like them I can turn around and resell them at a profit as they are already considered hard to find prints. I'll have to post pics when I get them (she's going to ship sometime next week). I'll also have to post pics of my new Simplex 2.0 and Tots Bots. Oh, and my own Bunny Tails stash. I've still only completed 13 of the 24 SIOs, all of the covers, and none of the fitteds. LOL! Labby, I'm going to try to get your OS diaper done really soon so you can have it on hand when you deliver so I can find out how it works/fits an itty bitty. I've been estimating a weight range of 10-40, but have never had it tried on a baby smaller than 10 pounds. I've only fully completed one OS diaper and that lady gave birth to a 9-1/2 pounder and when she started CD'ing after the stump fell off she was in the 10 pound range.

4. BunnyGirl19

RJ's new Christmas print Tots Bots.

[​IMG]

5. BunnyGirl19

His new Simplex 2.0. So far I'm really loving the fit of this diaper. His Tots Bots didn't get a proper trial. He pooped at the 1-1/2 hour mark, but the diaper was pretty soaked. We'll see how the Simplex does.

[​IMG]

6. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Wow, RJ is really getting big! Love the prints too!

Well my flip copies are just not working. Either the leg elastic is too tight or the PUL casing is just a bad idea. I'm thinking the latter since the elastic pretty much matches the actual flip cover and we don't have an issue with those and they don't seem tight. You should see the red marks she has on the inside of her thighs by morning. I think the knit side of the PUL casing may get wet and rubs and irritates her skin. So I need to come up with another method of doing the casings. I think I'm going to give the crushed panne a try since it's softer.

I sewed up a quick fleece soaker when I got home today to try. I'm loving this fleece stuff because it sews together so fast! I got it cut, sewed, in the wash AND dried by the time she got out of the bath! It actually fit pretty well over the bamboo flat. I'm still skeptical on it not leaking through, but she INSISTED on wearing the fleece longies over top. She loves those pants! So if she leaks through all of those layers of bamboo and hemp and two layers of fleece then we have a problem, lol! Fingers crossed for dry sheets tomorrow.

I really need to get to Joann's and get more fleece. I think I may have enough left to get one more soaker, but I want to make some little ones for the new bambino too since they are so super easy and fast and so far I am liking them.

7. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I just sewed up a newborn sized fleece soaker. I love these things! I can whip one up in about a half hour start to finish! I think I have enough of this fleece left to squeeze one more tiny one out. I can't wait to get some cool fleece prints for some more! I took a pic next to a pen to get a better idea of the size since it looked huge by itself, lol!

[​IMG]

8. BunnyGirl19

Those look a lot like the training pants pattern I've been playing with.

9. iampam

iampam Active Member

I love the Christmas print on RJ! Very cute.

10. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Well I'm happy to report that the fleece soaker (for whatever reason it is called that) was a success! She woke up bone dry on the outside! The pants were not even damp, and even the soaker itself was dry but the flat inside was soaked. And we had no red elastic marks on her legs! Yay! Now if only I could get rid of this darn ammonia smell in the mornings. The soaker did have a slight smell from being up against the ammonia stink flat, but I rinsed it and it seemed to go away so it should be dry by tonight to reuse.

I used the free Katrina pattern for the soaker. For the longies I used my own measurements to make a pattern. I made Olivia the large soaker, but ended up shortening the leg casing because they were actually bigger than the leg holes. I'm not sure if I measured wrong or what. The waist could also be a little more snug, but it still fit well, especially over the butt. I want to make a few more larges for her and a couple more newborn ones. I don't want to go crazy on that size though until I have a better idea of how big she will be. They sew together so fast and easy that I don't think it will be a problem to get more made once she's here.

I may also make a few pairs in medium for Olivia and sew in a thin absorbent layer to use as trainers for day care. Yesterday she did ask to use the potty a few times so she's getting better with it, but I think maybe if she had actual "trainers" on they would be a little more aggressive with asking her and getting her on the potty so they don't have to change her clothes all the time.

11. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Love the soaker labby! Will definitely be looking at that pattern. Did you use just regular blizzard fleece?

Cute new diaps BG! Love the gingerbread man!!

12. BunnyGirl19

There's not much you can do about ammonia stink in the morning apparently. Another CD group I'm in says it's very normal because everything is in the diaper longer plus overnight pee is more concentrated than daytime pee.

13. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I'm not sure exactly what kind of fleece this was. It was actually left over from a turtle blanket I made for Olivia a while back, so I'm happy to get it used up and out of my fabric stash, haha. I think it may be anti-pill? It was something from Joann's though, lol!

I forgot to add about how funny it was putting the diaper on her last night. I broke out one of the snappi's I bought for using with the new baby. I hadn't been using them with the snap covers but since the fleece soaker needs to be pulled up I needed something to hold the flat on while I pulled it up. You should have seen the look DH gave me when I came out with it in my hand! He didn't understand at all how it worked. All he could do was shake his head at me. Then I asked if he'd rather use that or pins, then he agreed it was a pretty cool little device, lol!

Yeah, I'm beginning to think the ammonia is just something we will have to learn to live with. I've been rinsing the flats out in the tub when I take it off her in the morning so it doesn't stink up the house by wash time. The problem is I started using the flats around the same time we got the new washer, so I can't really say if we had the issue before. I know the tuttos didn't stink like ammonia though, and after they have been sitting a few hours they get the ammonia stink too, but it's not as strong as the nighttime diaper.

I just ordered what I hope is the last box of disposables for Olivia. I figured I should have some on hand for when this baby comes since she will probably be spending the time at my parents while I am in the hospital, and for whatever reason my mom hates the cloth diapers even though she used the old style ones with pins and rubber pants on my brother and I when we were babies. I have found that for some reason with the snap diapers people seem to be afraid to make them tight. When she gets home from day care I immediately take her diaper off because chances are it will leak soon thereafter and EVERY TIME I pull her pants down the diaper comes with it! My mom does the same thing! I keep telling her she needs to make them tighter but she doesn't seem to get it.

14. BunnyGirl19

My mom prefers the cloth diapers over disposables, as do I. I'm not really sure what SO thinks about them. He doesn't seem to care which is which, although he really hates cloth poops. LOL

15. iampam

iampam Active Member

My mom and MIL both seem to be incapable of snapping Eddie's diapers tight enough.

16. BunnyGirl19

Same with SO. He always puts them on a bit too loose because he says a tight diaper looks like it is uncomfortable.

17. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

My MIL always confuses how to use the CD's I send over. Plus if I leave any extra disposables in the bag, she always uses those instead. Cracks me up.

I've purged all of my beat-up old stinky diaps with disfunctional velcro. Starting with a fresh set of snap-only diaps. Thinking I am going to try them out on J before baby gets here. Although i really just wish he would exhibit SOME level of readiness for the potty. We have been in disposables for a few months now, but now that I am home more, the diaper laundry shouldn't be an issue. I tend to forget about mid-week laundry when I am working full time :).

I am totally excited about these fleece soakers now. Always figured I would need wool. But JoAnn's fleece is cheap and easy to find! I have been doing just the normal PUL wraps for my newborn stash, but I think the fleece would be soooo much softer on tiny baby legs.

18. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Labby-did you use the pattern labeled specifically for fleece?

19. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Yes, I used the one marked for fleece since it has a longer rise. I am really liking it and so does she! She's actually happy to get it on! It looks so comfy on her, especially around the legs. I rinsed it out this morning since it was kind of stinky from being against the ammonia stink and laid it by the woodstove to dry during the day. It was good as new by bedtime! I have a half day Friday for an appt so afterwards I'm going to trek to Joann's to get more fleece. 50% off this week! Depending on time I may even embellish some on the butt with some embroidery. I didn't add the extra soaker layer to the ones I did and haven't had a problem, but of course it's only been one night, lol!

I'll be interested to see how tonight goes since we're doing something a bit different. Both bamboo flats are still in the wash, so I put 2 of the cotton birdseye flats together and did the origami fold, and then trifolded another birdseye flat to lay in the middle. Hopefully it is absorbent enough for her tonight. The birdseye flats are a little smaller and I don't get as much of a rise on them so hopefully that won't cause a bit problem. She once again has the fleece soaker and fleece pants over top so we'll see how it works out.

20. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Woohoo! I'll have to make a trip before I come home from work Friday, too. I hate JoAnn, but I love the discounts! My projects are so inexpensive when I shop there! I need more fleece anyways for these sweet little slippers I've been making.