Cloth Diapering Part 2!

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by Penguin-Goon, Sep 10, 2010.

1. iampam

iampam Active Member

Haha I have put Eddie in pink diapers and he has a bunch of purple daisy diapers. I hope to have a girl someday. I'll probably buy a few girly ones, but she can also wear all of the blue ones [​IMG]

2. labby06

labby06 Active Member

That's the nice thing about girls...it's easy to put them in boyish stuff. Not so much the other way around!

I still love cloth, but find myself reaching for sposies more and more lately because I'm just tired of the leaks and bulk. It's hard getting clothes to fit her with such thick diapers and I have to imagine it's uncomfortable for her too. She's been pulling at her diapers a lot and I'm not sure if it's because she needs to go potty or if she's just uncomfortable. I no longer use the cloth when we go out because they are so big it's a pain to fit them in the diaper bag and I also have to lug along at least 3 pairs of pants to deal with the leaks. I thought it was just because they are homemade diapers, but even the Rumparooz that I raved about when I first got it is leaking through the seams now. I stripped them this past weekend because it has been a while, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I think she's starting to become more interested in the potty though, so that's a good thing. She seems to like the seat that goes on the real toilet better than the little potty. She's so funny when she sits on it. She has to reach around and grab some magazines and when she is finished (or at least I think finished) she will grab some toilet paper and try to wipe herself, lol! It's funny to watch! Hopefully it continues and she's pretty much day trained by the time baby 2 arrives. And hopefully the next one isn't such a big peer so I can actually ENJOY cloth diapering!

3. iampam

iampam Active Member

labby - I feel you on the cloth taking up so much space in the diaper bag!

What do you guys do to strip your diapers? I feel like we've been having more leaks than normal the past day or two. The liners feel pretty soaked, so he might just be peeing that much, but it might not hurt to strip them again.

The new washer is high efficiency. I set it for maximum water when I wash the diapers, and I do an extra rinse, but I am thinking maybe I should run an entire extra cold cycle after just to make sure all of the soap is getting out.

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I haven't had to strip diapers for almost a year! I love Tide! Anyhow, back in the days that I needed to strip, I washed the diapers as normal, but also added a tiny bit of bleach. Then I'd wash again, using Calgon or RLR (or both) instead of detergent, and rinse, rinse, rinse. I used Dawn once, but that created too many suds for my front loader. I used to strip the diapers because after about 6 weeks or so, they'd smell like the zoo or swamp after P peed...turns out they just weren't getting clean enough.

P is almost day-trained. Yay!

5. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I've been using Tide too and haven't had any stink issues. It's great! I don't know that they even really needed to be stripped, but figured it wouldn't hurt since it has been a long time since I last did it. It didn't really seem to help though.

When I strip I wash them normally to get them clean, then do a cycle with some dawn, then a cycle with vinegar, and then and extra cycle or two with nothing. I always do two separate cycles when I wash them. The first in cold with Tide, and the second on hot with nothing. I don't have a front loader though and don't have the fancy options for extra rinse.

And way to go Piper on almost being day trained! That gives me hope that maybe Olivia will be by the time she's 2 so that she is when the new baby comes! Of course we'll still have to deal with the night issues and constantly changing sheets, but it's better than dealing with diapers all day (as long as she doesn't regress with a new baby around).

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Oh, I can't believe I forgot--I did have to sort of strip this weekend! I thought I had ruined an entire week's worth of diapers. Wednesday evening, we were out shopping, and P pooed. It was a super stinky one, and my husband said he didn't even want to bring the wetbag into the house, so we left the dirty diaper in the wetbag, outside till I did laundry on Friday. The diaper and wetbag were RANK, like, extraordinarily nasty. I should have just thrown the whole thing out. My belief in Tide is strong though, so I threw it in with all the other dirty diapers.

Well, it was bad. I did 3 washes, and could still smell that rank stink everytime I opened the washer door. I was convinced I'd ruined the every single diaper in the wash. I finally bought some bleach and poured almost a full cup of bleach, with some Borax for good measure, and then washed a couple more times and rinsed about 4-5 times. The water bill this month--it took all day of washing to get one load clean! Anyway, the bleach worked, but I did have to throw out the wetbag and the offending diaper. The smell....so disgusting.

Yeah, I should say P is only day trained at our house. Not when we're out and about (which is frequent), and only goes on the potty a few times a day at my mom's and not at all at daycare (they don't encourage kids to pt--kids are either in diapers or using the toilet). I'm sure Olivia will be day-trained at least by the time the new babe comes. I will say it's a little harder for us to potty train since we have to work and we can only focus a few hours a day/on the weekends for toilet training.

7. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I guess I'm lucky in that my mom is going to be babysitting so she can work on the potty training during the day too.

8. BunnyGirl19

I noticed my diapers today smelling a little weird after only one use/washing and then worn again. I'm guessing they didn't get clean enough in the wash? I used Country Save on them which doesn't really smell. I have original powdered Tide that I use for the normal laundry (including RJ's) so I'm thinking about using that next washing. Although I did notice his disposables take on a similar smell when he pees so it might just be his pee smell. Kinda reminds me of the way your pee smells after eating asparagus. LOL

9. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I always had stink issues until switching to Tide at DG's recommendation. Haven't had any stink issues since!

I did notice with my Bunny Tails that if they weren't completely dry through all of the layers then they would start to get a musty type smell to them. Those are the only AIO's that I had so I don't know if that's normal for that type of diaper or not. Since the bamboo takes longer to dry I would put them in the dryer with the rest of the diapers and then when the others were done I would hang them to air dry the rest of the way and that is when the smell would start to sit in.

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Eww, I love asparagus but hate asparagus pee, lol! Maybe it's the meds that RJ's on? Or the formula?

11. BunnyGirl19

That's what I'm wondering. I know his formula poop smells really nasty too and it's a similar smell. The diapers smelled clean and like nothing when I checked them after noticing the smell. He made his first poop in a cloth diaper last night and he usually poops in the early morning when he's in his Pampers. I got to try out the diaper sprayer and OMG it has a lot of pressure if you aren't careful!! It did pretty much blast all the poop off though and the diaper looked clean.

12. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Does your diaper sprayer have an adjustable pressure? Mine does, which is nice, but I still have to do a trial spray in the tub to make sure it's not too weak or freaking blowing the diaper out of my hand! Love the sprayer though! P still rarely has ploppable poop. Thankfully she's using the potty or outside for most of her poops now.

13. labby06

labby06 Active Member

She poops outside? Like in your yard? That must be a sight, lol!

We have a friend with 3 little boys. Now that the weather is getting nicer they once again refuse to go potty in the house. They HAVE to go outside. When we were camping with them a few weeks ago we walked to the playground area and on the walk back the middle one just stopped in the middle of the road, pulled down his pants, and peed on the street!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

14. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

haha, little boys are funny! Yeah, outside for her poops, either in the front yard (could be slightly embarrassing if the neighbors are out, but I'm usually more embarrassed because of her usual lack of clothes, or the backyard somewhere). We're outside much of the time while we're home, so it's convenient and as long as she announces it and squats, she gets as much encouragement as she does using the potty. I keep telling her it's just like camping! She is constantly demanding to go outside, but not just for copping a squat (yet), lol!

15. labby06

labby06 Active Member

That is too funny, DG! If we lived where you do we'd probably be outside all the time too. It's been raining since the weekend here and isn't supposed to let up until Friday, so we haven't had much outdoor time lately. I couldn't imagine seeing her squat and poop in the yard!

I think we're slowly getting somewhere with the potty. She's sitting on it right now! She starts to pull at her pants and when I asked if she needs to go potty she runs over to the Baby Bjorn potty we have and picks it up and brings it into the living room. THen I pull her pants down, take off her diaper and she sits on it. She's been sitting on it for a while now watching Elmo's World!

16. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Yes, that's another part of the "click" that seemed to help P--she keeps the potty in the living room and its presence in the most used room of the house seems to help cue her. That reminds me, I think I'll take it into her room at bedtime so that she'll see it first thing in the morning and use it then too.

Good luck!

17. BunnyGirl19

I have the BumGenius sprayer so it's adjustable pressure. I just haven't found the right level yet. Unfortunately the tub is too far from the toilet to test spray so I get backsplash from the toilet water. LOL

Too funny about pooping outside! We live in an apartment while saving for a house so RJ would have to poop on the patio because we don't have a yard. LOL

18. BunnyGirl19

Well, RJ managed to explode his Pampers last night in about three hours. He woke up screaming totally soaking wet. The lining of the diaper had pulled away and there was that gel stuff stuck all over him. Poor little guy! I haven't done cloth at night yet because he generally only gets about three hours out of his diapers right now and I didn't want to have to get up and change him a ton to keep him dry. I was gonna do cloth when he moves into the next size (when I get some done) but for now he's in disposables. I'm still hoping he's not a heavy wetter. I can't really tell at this point.

19. iampam

iampam Active Member

Uggh that gel stuff is the worst!

20. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

In 3 hours? Wow! Maybe you can move him up a size in disposables? I hate that gel stuff too--Piper usually gets the beads while we're camping.