Cloth Diapering Part 2!

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by Penguin-Goon, Sep 10, 2010.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 that have free access to thousands of health related discussions.. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

This topic has taken off so well the threads gotten too long!! enjoy your diapering convos ladies, ill leave the old thread up for the day before putting it in archives [​IMG]

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Thanks, Goon!

BG - OMG that monkey print is adorable! I actually decided to make Olivia a monkey for halloween since we are always calling her our little monkey because of the way she climbs and hangs off of EVERYTHING. So if it's not too much trouble I would prefer the monkey, but if you already have everything cut for the stripes that's fine too. I'll leave it up to you! [​IMG]

MW - I finally got out to the sewing store yesterday and got some thread and some more stabilizer since I was starting to run out of the good stuff and I need more for some shirts my dad wants me to do for him. I got some cheaper stuff at Joann's a while back but I really don't like it, so I finally decided to just suck it up and pay more for the good stuff. It does a much nicer job. I'm hoping to get out to Joann's at lunch today to get the yellow minky so I can at least get all the pieces cut this weekend. I still need to do a test run stitching out the logo on some scrap minky to make sure it looks ok before doing the actual diaper. My goal is to at least get that done by the end of the weekend so that all I will have left to do is sew the actual diaper together. I might be able to get that done next week, but I'm not sure. I'm having a big surprise bday party for DH next Saturday, so next week I'm going to be super busy running around trying to get things ready for that without giving it away. So far he has no clue anything is going on, I just hope I can keep it up! I also hope the weather holds out (right now they are saying 40% chance of showers, ahh!) because I have no idea what I'm going to do with 50 people in the rain! Our house isn't quite big enough for that many people, lol! So my fingers are crossed that the weather holds!

I wanted to get a picture of the minky butt last night but she wasn't cooperating after her nap. I ended up waking her up after 2 1/2 hours and she wasn't too happy about it, lol. Hopefully this weekend I can get a pic! I wasn't a huge fan of the dot pattern when I first bought it, but it looks super cute as a diaper!

3. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

Stopped by real quick to post some pics of H in his Bunny Tails. :)Sorry they came out a bit dark.

Bunny Butt [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SO wanted him to look like a real man. lol
    [​IMG]

In a onsie to show that it's not bulky at all. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/

BG, I wanted to let you know that a lot of the print on the label came off in the first wash. The diaper is hanging to dry for the second time now, I'll check if it's gone completely.

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

HOLY FREAKIN CUTENESS!!!!!!!

5. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Super cute!!! I love bunny butt! [​IMG] I love the onesie too!! LOL

I'll have to talk to the label company and see what the deal is on the washing off. Kinda weird since they are a company that makes labels for big companies. Maybe I need to do something to set the dyes first like a vinegar or salt water soak.

6. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Adorable! Can't wait for Olivia to have some "bunny butt", haha!

MW - I ran out at lunch and got your yellow minky so I'm all set! Now I just need to get it made, lol! [​IMG]

7. BunnyGirl19

Got the monkeys! Since they were having a 20% off sale on print fabrics I got both aqua and pink. They didn't have the mango or lime monkeys though. Oh well, those weren't really on my list anyway. And it's way cuter in person. [​IMG]

8. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

Super cute pics of Heljar in his Bunny Tails!

9. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Yay for the monkeys! The aqua was my favorite. Blue is my favorite color if you haven't noticed, lol! I met my mom tonight at the local fabric store that does more drapery/upholstery fabrics to look at some fabric for some curtains she wants me to make (like I have time!) and she brought me some sleepers she got for Olivia. One is blue and has monkeys (and hearts making it girly) all over it and reminded me of the minky! And to top it off, some of the monkeys are hugging a bunny, lol! Now if only they had that fabric in minky!

10. BunnyGirl19

Awwww......sounds adorable!!!!! I got the monkey diaper cut out except for the PUL layer before I left for work today, so I'll be able to put the tail on tomorrow when I do my usual mail pickup (I'm hoping my Itti Bitti came too, but considering it's from overseas plus having a holiday, no idea). Depending on how ambitious I am I ought to be able to mail them out sometime next week. The testers I was planning to have finished to mail out tomorrow haven't gotten anywhere since I said that. LOL! I was planning to finish them yesterday since I had the day off, but I was just too stinking tired and wiped out to want to do much of anything besides play couch slug and nap. Today I was running errands most of the morning. So, looks like I'll probably end up finishing the testers by Monday instead. If I get them done on Sunday I'll be able to mail them Monday, so we'll see.

11. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I love the monkey stuff for babies. I'm sure like alot of parents, we call Piper our little monkey girl. Not only does she act like a monkey, she does sorta looks like one too, lol.

Labby, sounds like a cute sleeper--I'm going to look for that sleeper in stores around her for Piper. Last spring piper had a blue monkey sleeper, but nothing girly on it since it was a boy sleeper. haha, I just read back a few posts, Piper was a monkey last year! I should just send you the costume, lol!!

12. BunnyGirl19

All this monkey talk reminded me of something. Labby, are you interested in blue PUL with monkeys wearing pajamas? I saw some diaper cuts of it somewhere and you might be interested in making your own monkey diaper. If I remember correctly someone on etsy is selling some diaper cuts of it (you need to search for PUL diaper cuts to find it and then specify that's the print you want since she's selling a few different ones under one listing).

[​IMG]

13. labby06

labby06 Active Member

That's a cute pattern, BG! But I think I'm done with PUL only diapers, lol. I'm loving the minky! [​IMG] Do you have any extra zorb you would be willing to sell me? I only need like a yard or so, maybe not even that much. I'm not in a rush for it so if you have some you can just wait to ship it with the diaper. I need to make some more bamboo soakers but I only have enough zorb left for 2 more and I would like to replace all of my microfiber ones with it so I need some more. Let me know if you have any and how much you would want for it!

DG - the sleeper is a Carter's sleeper so I would think you would be able to find it, but I just did a google search for it and could only find it at Boscov's which is where my mom got it and I'm pretty sure that's a local department store to our area so you probably don't have one near you.

this is the one she got except the feet aren't little monkey heads and instead are the same pattern with the non-slip soles. I found a similar pattern on Carter's website ( here) but that one has the whole princess theme going on, and I don't do princess stuff, lol!

14. labby06

labby06 Active Member

So I lie, the feet do have the monkey face on them! I just went to cut the tag off to wash and noticed it. I guess I wasn't paying attention earlier, lol!

15. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

So much to catch up on! First of all, I think a new thread is perfect, as our preimer diaper seamstress embarks on a new chapter in her life... hopefully one that sticks for good!!! Congrats, BG!!

Kawaii... The Bunny Butt looks great on H, looks like nice fit!

BG... That monkey print is great! I'm a wildlife biologist by trade, so anything with critters catches my eye! I guess you'll need an address eventually to send the tester? I don't care about what fabric you use for mine, since it's nice to have the opportunity to test, period.

Labby... I'm sooo excited about the minky yellow! I was watching them play last night (oh my, what a good game that was...) and thinking about Allie's future WV butt. I was going to save it as a birthday present, but if you get it done in the next few weeks I'm not sure I can wait that long!! And, I probably won't, since football season is going on now. We'll see. But definitely don't rush, since you have your own dipes to do and the big party!

Ugh, off I go to take a shower, then lots to do today after she wakes from her nap...

16. BunnyGirl19

Thanks MW! My doctor just started me on Lovenox today so hoping it helps.

I'd have to check my zorb stash. I've got some, but not a lot right now. It's in my "need to order" list. I'll see what I've got.

17. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

labby, I love that sleeper! It's the girly version of the one Pip had! I may have to order it, it'l be cold enough soon.

I cleaned the teeth of the aplix out of the bg 3.0s that i'm selling (the little dagger worked perfectly [​IMG] ) and so much nasty stuff was in there. Ugh, guess I should have done more often.

18. BunnyGirl19

I wonder if it's like the one I saw at Target today? I saw they had some things with girly monsters on them. So cute!!! I want them, but SO told me I had to wait to find out gender because "my son is not dressing like a girl!" LOL Apparently it's fine for a girl to dress like a boy then.

19. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

BG... I almost got Allie a football theme sleeper the other day, clearly meant for a boy, but I didn't care. She's a "football baby" (long story behind that), and we are football fans. But alas, they didn't have her size. Glad you are on the Levonox!

DG... By little dagger, do you mean the seam ripper you all discussed recently? My aplix dipes could probably use a good de=gunking! Overall my velcro has been holding up OK. I usually sun dry or hang them on a multi-tier clip hanger in a little closet in the laundry room that we rarely use for anything else. That works perfectly, actually, but for some reason the extra step of separating the pocket dipes out annoys me, lol! (while carrying everything out with the little drying rack does not - go figure!) So sometimes they go in the dryer, I decided I'm not worried about the warranty.

20. labby06

labby06 Active Member

The seam ripper works great for cleaning out the aplix for me. I finally got around to replacing the tabs on all of my BG diapers. They were pretty bad as far as curling goes. The ones I made are still fine, just had to clean them out. I don't think they would be so "gunked" if it wasn't for the fact that they stick to the microfiber inserts I made (that I'm working on replacing). Since the laundry tabs sucked on them (which I also replaced) they would always come loose in the wash and stick to the inserts making a huge mess. I mostly line dry on a drying rack in the hallway and put them outside when it's nice. I'll put them in the dryer if I was lazy and got around to washing too late and won't have enough clean, dry ones for day care the next day. I'm usually really lazy though when it comes to stuffing and end up just stuffing them as I need them, which finds me stuffing diapers at 5:00 in the morning to send to day care that day, lol. I'm excited for the cooler weather when we are burning our wood stove again. I always used to set the rack next to the stove and they would dry out in no time!

MW - your diaper pieces are cut! [​IMG] Now I just need to do the test run on the embroidery. Who knows when I will get to that. We have our family reunion tomorrow and this week is just going to be crazy with this party. I don't know what I was thinking having 40+ people at our house! I can't wait until it is over. He has no clue which is good, but it's driving me nuts because he keeps trying to plan things for next weekend and then we end up getting in arguments about it. It really sucks getting into an argument over something you are lying about, lol! I've been bugging him all summer about wanting to get the landscaping done in the front of our house. We finally got around to it and tore everything out and are laying a new walkway and doing new flower beds and such. He wants to rent some equipment to work on it next weekend and I keep saying no and making excuses. Then he gets mad because I've been on his case about getting it done, and now he's working on it and now I want him to stop! Ugh, he will understand next week, but until then I guess the arguments will continue, lol!