clogged duct??

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by TDG, Mar 18, 2011.

1. TDG

TDG New Member

Im breastfeeding and Ive got a bruised feeling in my right boob. I cant feel any lump and theres no redness or signs on the outside. Its like directly in the center under the nipple/areola and it mostly just hurts when pushed on. It does seem to get slightly better after I nurse which is why I think it might be a clogged duct(despite not having the other signs of one). Its SUPER painful when my boob is touched. Even a hug HURTS! What do you ladies think? Clogged duct or maybe something else? It still hurts even when my boobs pretty much emptied so Im not sure what to do with it if it is clogged? Will warm compresses or massage do much good when its right in the center of my boob(hard to push the clog outward). Maybe its already cleared and thats why I feel no lump? Would it still hurt for a while after? HELP!

2. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Sounds like a clogged duct to me. I do think warm compress and massage will help. I used to use an old style hot water bottle for a compress--I'd just tuck it in my bra and it would conform to my boob. It's been so long since I've had a clogged duct, but I seem to remember they do hurt for a while after it gets cleared out.

3. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

Sounds like a clogged duct. Although mine was hard where it felt bruised. I soaked in a warm tub and massaged it. You can't do that with your incision so warm compresses will probably work. Also let him nurse that side first everytime. 12 hours later it was all better.

4. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Hot showers always seem to make mine better plus pumping seemed to really clear it out! I had one that was the same about a week ago, it was on the bottom part of my boob and didn't have a lump either... Mine was just from the new milk supply trying to level out. Hope it doesn't hang around too long!

5. TDG

TDG New Member

Thanks ladies!! Never had one before so wasnt sure. Ive been massageing it in the shower and nurseing on that side more(I use that side more anyways because he doesnt like my left boob! lol Kind of strange it would happen in that boob.) It still hurts but it is better. This is the 4th day its been hurtin now!

6. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

Ahh! Clogged ducts aren't cyber contagious are they?!? Lol. I have one on my right side as of this afternoon. Interesting Ash, mine happened at the 3 month and 6 month marks. That is when there are supposed growth spurts so maybe it is related to increasing supply and leveling out. Never thought of that.

7. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

I never could figure out if I had one or if it was just some other pain or mastitis even. I sympathize with nursing pains, though. Hope you all feel better soon.

8. Alluring-Ash

Confused- Mastitis is AWFUL! I had it once and with a lump or hard wedge you would mostly get with a clogged duct, my entire breast was a HUGE hard almost unreal feeling huge boob! It was really hot to touch and red. I ended up going to urgent care for antibiotics which made a world of difference in hours.

TDG- Both of my babes favored one breast! lol, Funny enough Noah loved the lefty with an over supply and Kinley loves to one that is hard to keep up! At least she will not let me just dry up on the one side! [​IMG]

How is the duct now? Hope it is all healed up!

9. TDG

TDG New Member

Its doin much better now! thanks! [​IMG] Strange that with my third time bfing..when my boobs are the most regulated n not over supplying I finally get a clogged duct. lol

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Confused, you'd know if it had been mastitis. Mastitis is awful...not only is the boob extremely painful, but you would feel like you got hit by a truck. Flu-like symptoms, with fever, body aches, etc.! I had mastitis once, and every clogged duct after, I would freak out a bit because I was worried it'd turn into mastitis.

TDg, glad your duct is feeling better.

11. Confused-Hasya

I had these feelings, and I believe I even posted on here. But it resolved on its own, that is why I am not sure what it was! TDG, could be that your general ill health is contributing?

12. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Mine did too. I literally had just returned to work, so I felt like I couldn't take any time off to see the doctor. I felt like hell for a few days, and then it eased off--just like the flu, but with hard, red, painful boobs. My friend just had mastitis at the very end of her breastfeeding adventure, and she was VERY sick, took the antibiotics, and still felt hellish for another week. Her son was about 18 months old, and the mastitis was so bad for her that she decided she was done nursing after that (her son had pretty much self-weaned already).

13. TDG

TDG New Member

yuck that sounds just awful!

IDK confused it sure could be. Seems everythings been harder this time. I didnt realize how much stress I had been under in the last year until my health suddenly ALL went to sh*t! Hopefully this year isnt so ruff so I can get myself healthy again.

14. iampam

iampam Active Member

OK it's funny that a spammer bumped this thread up. I think I have a clogged duct! It huuurts!! My right boob has been sore for a few days, but I figured Eddie just had a bad latch, he goes through stretches like that every few weeks still. But the left side has been fine and the right is getting worse and worse. Now when he nurses on that side I am almost in tears [​IMG]

15. Confused-Hasya

Oops, Pam!

Massaging under a warm shower is the only remedy I know of. HTH or that someone else can chime in.

16. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I'd change warm shower to massage under a HOT shower...that was the only thing that really helped. HOT shower and then have the baby nurse afterwards.

17. Alluring-Ash

I agree, hot shower and just pump (or nurse ) the crap outta that thing! I always heard that if you nurse with their nose directly in front of the clog it helps... who knows if that is really the case. Fill a sock with rice and microwave and use that between. Good luck! Hated those!

18. Alluring-Ash

I agree, hot shower and just pump (or nurse ) the crap outta that thing! I always heard that if you nurse with their nose directly in front of the clog it helps... who knows if that is really the case. Fill a sock with rice and microwave and use that between. Good luck! Hated those!

19. TDG

TDG New Member

I also rubbed the clog while he nursed.

20. iampam

iampam Active Member

I never felt a lump, so I am not sure where the clog is. It does feel a teeny tiny bit better, so I am hoping that we are headed in the right direction!