Breastfeeding Tips

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by desertgirl, Aug 23, 2009.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. StLGaL

StLGaL New Member

Well this is my 3rd day on the Regland, and so far really not much of a difference [​IMG] hopefully it starts to kick in soon

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

StLGal, the Reglan takes a few days to take effect. Are you pumping?

3. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

OK StLGal, I just saw that you are pumping. Good for you. One of my friends is a postpartum nurse, and told me while I was pumping to not be surprised if milk supply appears low. She said the reason for this was that your body knows the difference between the baby suckling, and the pumping from a breastpump. While a breastpump will help you to continue producing milk and keep you from drying out, your milk supply will be much better once your baby starts emptying the breast. Its quite amazing what our bodies are capable of doing!

4. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

Stlgal,
    I pumped with audrey and found some days seemed like I was running out of milk but it would increase days later. I also found myself always engorged, clogged and in pain and I did it for 6 months, but had had enough. I hope your little girl will take to breatsfeeding because from experience I feel 100 times better, I'm never sore, engorged like I was with Audrey or in pain which is great. Also remember that if you just end pumping, it makes you feel great to provide something natural for free. I was also told to look at pic of your baby to help with your letdown, good luck hun!!

5. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Try some Oats too! These are supposed to help a TON when breastfeeding, not the little pre packaged quick oats but the big old fashioned Quaker style.

Even if things do not work out don't beat your self up! You are trying very hard and are SOOOO amazing to be doing so well with all of this happening so fast and out of the blue!

Take care sweety! Thinking of you and your family xoxox!

6. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

StlGal, hang in there! Nessa is right, the pump removes way less milk from the breast than baby will. When you're with her, do as much skin to skin as you can--even the touch of her hands on your skin stimulates prolactin, which can increase milk supply. Blessed Thistle is also sometimes prescribed, along with Domperidone, here in Canada for milk supply, not sure how it works in the US. I think it's great that you're pumping so much--when a baby is born prematurely, Mom's milk adjusts to be perfect for that baby, so you're tailoring her feeds to her needs, so to speak! Keep up the good work, she looks great!

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

StLGal, how's pumping going? It is really, really hard to get milk out from just the pump. Row listed some supplements to increase milk supply...there's also Mother's Milk tea that can be found at most grocery stores. Fenugreek in capsules is another one that can safely be taken to increase your supply...you'll start smelling like maple syrup (and that's how you know you're taking enough)!

8. Raunchy-Row

Oooh, good point about the Fenugreek, forgot about that one.

Another thing to remember is that breastfeeding is supply and demand, so the more you feed the more milk your body will eventually make--but it might take some time to kick in/catch up to your feeding schedule at the beginning. If you skip a feed, your body will go "oh, I don't have to make milk at this time tomorrow, either" so if you're combination feeding (assuming you are because she was in the NICU for so long) breastfeed first to keep your body on the right schedule and top up afterwards with whatever she needs. You'll find that as your supply grows, she'll take more and more breastmilk and less formula and you'll have to top up less!

The only other thing I can suggest is getting in touch with your local breastfeeding clinic/center or lactation consultant, and trying a local chapter of La Leche League if you want to just talk to other Mums who are breastfeeding/have breastfed who might be able to give you some peer support because it IS natural, but it is NOT always easy!

9. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I seem to be in a pumping slump. I slacked off on pumping for a week or two (only pumping maybe 2x a day), and now I'm paying for it. Instead of getting 4-6 oz per session, I'm getting 3-4 oz. P is taking 3 5-6 oz bottles per day, and I'm only making enough for 2. So far, not a problem, because I'm using up the frozen stash. I'm staying hydrated, back to pumping 3x a day, pumping an extra 5 minutes after I'm "done" to let my body know that it needs to produce more, but so far, I'm not getting results.

I wonder if I should take fenugreek or something to boost my supply again. Thing is, I know my supply is sufficient since P nurses frequently at home. The pump just sucks. (haha, literally!)

Gah, hate pumping!

And as I'm sitting here (pumping), my pump seems to be making some weird thumping/clicking sounds. I've been thinking its about to die for months...maybe this really is the end.

10. Raunchy-Row

Desertgirl, the pump will be the absolutely least effective way of getting that milk out! Random suggestions (things we try at the hospital or in the breastfeeding clinic):

1) try hand expressing--it stimulates the milk ducts more efficiently than the pump does and you can stimulate the ducts on all sides of your breasts that way
    2) lots of skin to skin contact with baby when you're at home with her !
    3) like you said, you can try the fenugreek to boost your supply again. If it took a couple of weeks for your supply to start to dwindle, it might take that long for it to boost back up again

It sounds like you're already doing a great job! Check out the Jack Newman website for videos on hand expressing. He has a lot of great information there and it's free!

http://www.drjacknewman.com/

You can also try to put Piper to the breast more frequently when you're at home--half an hour or an hour earlier than you normally would--to try to stimulate more production.

OH--almost forgot, if your pump has a "let down" function, use that first. It's the equivalent of a baby making those short "nibble" sucks at the beginning of a feed, which tells your body to let down milk. When the let down happens, then switch to the longer, slower "tugging" of the pump (similar to what baby does when she sucks and swallows). It kind of mimics a natural feed. You can also try and replicate this with hand expressing--using shorter pulls at the beginning until your milk lets down.

One other thing that *might* work (depending on how sensitive you are to crying) is taping Piper crying and playing it for yourself to try and stimulate your milk letting down. I know a lot of women who will start leaking when ANY baby starts crying, but you can't really just poke someone else's baby and get them to cry so your milk lets down! If you try it before you pump, maybe it will help? [​IMG]

11. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Thanks Row! I think I'll try the fenugreek for a quick easy fix. At home, it would be almost impossible to get Piper to nurse any more than she already does (frequent nurser)! Plus she nurses ALL night long, so we've got that covered! For a while I was pumping 4X a day at work...I may start that up again for a week or two till I can get back up to meeting P's needs.

I'm sitting here listening to my pump, and I really think my pump is in trouble. That would also explain why I'm getting less and less milk!

I may have to try hand expressing, especially if my pump croaks. I've tried it a couple of times--hard to get it into a bottle!

Oh, and it just might help to listen to P's cry. Anything to make pumping easier and get that extra ounce or so.

12. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

DG
    Pumping really does suck [​IMG] I pumped every 3 hours for audrey and was etting 8 oz, then at Audreys 4 month appointment I told the nurse practionner that and she said I shouldn't be pumping so frequently that it was to just start up your supply, so I switched to every 6 hours and then my supply started to slow down. I think with the pump being so inefficient, I could of gotten way more with an expensive pump or the sucking of a baby, so I was probably producing double the amount because I was constantly engorged even after pumping and in so much pain from clogged ducts. Anyways all I can say is that every 3 hours worked for me, but if you are breastfeeding at home, then maybe try every 2-3 hours when away from home, if you can. Gahhhhh I hate pumping, I gave my pump away to a friend....as much as it would of been great at times, I'm not sad to not have it, maybe I could get a manual pump to express a bit so that I can go places if I need to...

13. mistyred

mistyred New Member

Hi everyone, I just wanted to pass on my experience of breastfeeding. Ive been breastfeeding for 8wks now and have had no problems at all, I have been really lucky, my baby latched on fine and Ive had no pain at all with my nipples, although my midwife did suggest rubbing a little of my milk onto my nipple after my baby had fed as this is a natural way to soothe nipples. For me it was important to remember that babies grow up so quickly and I wanted to enjoy every part of it without the worry of feeling like I had failed if she hadnt taken to breastfeeding, so right from the start I put no pressure on myself, if breastfeeding didnt work I would have switched to formula, what ever it takes to stay relaxed and calm. [​IMG]

14. Spitler

Spitler New Member

I am having better luck with breast feeding this time than the last. I met with a LC who helped me know when Leo was latched correctly. Juniper never did latch right and ended up splitting my nipples open and pulling them apart so to speak before I realized there was a real problem. The only thing I am finding is that although I'd like to pump to have some on hand just in case, I am finding I am exhausted still and still trying to recover from the surgery and dont want to take the extra time to pump. UGH.

I do have a question though, what is a good way to get baby to go back to sleep after his period of awake without renursing. I haven't been able to get much of anything to work for Leo except to relatch him and he does little soft suckles until he falls asleep. Problem is its starting to make my nipples sore.

15. Raunchy-Row

Skin to skin might work, Spitler--most breastfed babies I know like to do that suckling, and if they're not latched well it can be hard, they kinda slip down....maybe after he's ready to go back to sleep, get him latched well just for five or ten minutes for a "top up" and then put him upright between your breasts and see if just being on you will work?

16. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Spitler - Congrats on the birth of Leo and the breastfeeding going better this time around! Those LC's can really help a lot. I was like you and wanted to get a bit of a supply on hand but really didn't start building it up until Olivia was about a month old or so because it was just too much to handle.

I'm not sure what you have tried to get him to sleep, but I darkened Olivia's room, and when it is time for a nap I take her back there and rock her and sing to her. If that's not working I then start the vacuum cd. She LOVES the sound of the vacuum cleaner and it calms her down instantly and puts her to sleep pretty fast. Figures of all of the calming and soothing sounds out there my child likes the loudest and most obnoxious of them [​IMG]. The singing to her usually really helps to calm and soothe her and gets her to sleep pretty well on most occasions. Also, be sure to use some Lanolin on those nipples. It works wonders!

17. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Spitler, congrats on Leonidas (I love the name). It was recommended to me not to pump for a couple of weeks (well, 6 weeks) because like labby said, the pump can be alot to handle...finding the time to pump and then cleaning all the parts.

I have my own problem now...after 8 perfect months of breastfeeding, I have sore,tender nipples. Piper's teeth, which usually aren't a problem, are now pulling my nipples each and everytime she delatches. And when she's sleeping and suckling, and I have to manually delatch her, I really feel the drag then too (she fights the delatch like crazy and as soon as she feels me try to break the suction she sucks like 50 times harder). She may be going through another growth spurt, because she seemed to nurse ALOT the past fews days, and by the end of yesterday it was really hurting to feed her. I'm not sure how to have the nipple pulling/teeth dragging cease and desist.

18. Spitler

Spitler New Member

Thanks ladies, I'll give it a try Row.
    Desertgirl, I feel for you! Here I am complaining and my son has no teeth!! Good luck!

19. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Spitler, I re-read your post and still don't see that you complained! The first 2 weeks of nursing really hurt my nipples (though not like you with Juniper), and this new irritation is starting to feel similar to that. During the first two weeks, I did have some cracking and a bit of bleeding and then suddenly, I was fine and nursing didn't hurt a bit.

How are you finding nursing with another baby? Must be challenging. I think of all the time I spent sitting and nursing, and able to do nothing else except read and watch tv, and can't imagine how I could do it with a toddler!

20. Spitler

Spitler New Member

AHHH SWEET SUCCESS!!! Leo is now 8lb 8.5oz!!! He was 8lb 5oz at birth, so he has gained almost a pount ind a week!! I'm thrilled because the dr was concerned last week about the weight gain, blew her out of the water today though!! WOo HOo! I feel so great right now!

Nursing with Juniper is tough! She doesn't understand whats going on and has even pulled my boob from his mouth =(. We are getting there though. I'll have help for another week (my grandmother is coming to help) and then I'll be on my own with two babies. I'll let you know how that goes!! I'm honestly terrified,b ut I'm sure I'll figure it out!