Breakfast: The most important meal of the day!

Discussion in 'Aphrodite's Kitchen' started by Lanata29, Jun 4, 2010.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. Lanata29

Lanata29 New Member

So I have always been a breakfast eater (can't start my day without it), but lately I've been finding myself eating fast, not so healthy or filling cereals and such.. I'm kinda in a rut.

Does anyone have any healthy easy everyday breakfast ideas that are nutritious and keep you full for a good period of time? I like oatmeal and am always looking for new ways to make it interesting. I do eat whole grain toast, but I would like to find some alternatives as it gets boring after a while. I'd also like to get away from unhealthy packaged cereal.

What do you like to start your day with?

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what you put in your oatmeal... I always add wheat germ, and sometimes nuts and/or fruit. Wheat germ gives it a taste reminiscent of fresh bread.

Here's my (in the sense that I use it; I didn't write it!) granola recipe. Make it ahead of time, and you have a grab and go breakfast. It's so dense, it will fill you up much faster than commercial breakfast cereal. You'll probably only want about half as much as you would "regular" cereal. My main modification to that recipe is using only 3/4 cup coconut. I found I liked the smaller amount better the first time I made it after having forgotten to buy more coconut.

More involved, but it freezes well and can be reheated for many breakfasts, is fool medammes. Very filling.

3. Slvrtide

Slvrtide New Member

I have a couple friends who swear by egg mug recipes. A google search for that would bring up some hits I'm sure but basically it's egg (or egg substitute) any veggies, cheese, meat, etc all microwaved in a mug together. So kind of like an omelette but much faster. It sounds like that's important to you in the mornings. And you can't really go wrong with protein and veggies.

4. Lanata29

Lanata29 New Member

My oatmeal is not usually very exciting.. it's usually brown sugar and skim milk or diced peaches and skim milk (which i really like, but I will definitely try experimenting more with fruit/nuts/etc. That granola sounds delicious as well.

Slv, fast is important during the week - my mornings are pretty hectic. I have done the egg in a mug before, but never with veggies...why didn't I think of that! haha. I will have to try that as well.

Thanks for the ideas!

GreenTea, are you an AllRecipes fan as well? It is my go-to recipe book. I love it!! When I am bored I like to sit and skim through looking for new recipes to try. It gets me excited to cook every time

5. leeaman7777

leeaman7777 Active Member

AllRecipes is an awesome site for recipes... I like being able to go through the comments as well to see what everyone has to say.

Sorry for hijacking just had to add that...lol

6. GreenTea

Sugar in your oatmeal will make it much less filling. You'll be hungry again much sooner. Try it without sugar for a while and see if you notice the difference. I find wheat germ a great substitute--not that it's sweet, but it gives oatmeal flavor without sugar. If you don't salt it when you cook it, try a little salt; that makes a big difference in the flavor.

I don't use it specifically, but I often find what I'm looking for there when I google a particular recipe. When I found the granola one, I was looking for sugar free granola. (If you want your breakfast to be filling, the best thing you can do is make sure there's no added sugar in it.)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

7. Lanata29

Lanata29 New Member

Good to know about the sugar. I like my oatmeal sweeter, which is why I add the sugar but I have been looking for ways to cut it out. I guess adding the other things like fruits and nuts, etc. will help with that. Thanks for the info!

8. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

I have also often wondered if there is a quick filling type of breakfast. I usually eat cereal and fruit in the morning, and by the time I get to work, Im already starving again! I know eggs are great source of protein, and hold me off for a while, but its time consuming making eggs. I would say to try omelets since it usually doesnt take too long with those. Maybe dice up some ham, cheese, or veggies (or whatever you like in them) the night before, so then in the morning, all you have to do is whip up the eggs, pour them in the skillet, add your filling, and then go!!!

9. GreenTea

Probably because of the sugar. Read the ingredient list on your cereal box, and you'll see sugar of some kind very high on the list. If it's a "healthy" cereal, it will be the second or third ingredient. If it's supposed to be a sweet cereal, it will be the first ingredient. Eliminate sugared breakfast cereal, and you're halfway there.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

10. Bitter B*tch

Bitter B*tch New Member

I read all of these, and I have a great idea for you all:) My friend she competes in figure competitions now, she makes an oatmeal pancake and it is quite tasty! It is super easy to make, low in fat, sugar and high in protein! Here is how to make it:)

Take regular oats, nothing processed.
    Egg whites, you can buy them in the carton
    Cinnamon
    Sugar free Vanilla syrup from Starbucks, you can buy a bottle just make sure you get the pump the first time you buy

You need a hand blender, or blender, processor, magic bullet to put it all together.

Add oats, you don't need much at all, then add double the egg whites portioned to the oats. Add four pumps of the sugar free syrup and some cinnamon! Blend until all oats are fine, and it is fluffy, then use pam on a smaller size pan then cook on medium. Flip when needed, it takes practice to make it look good but it tastes like FRENCH TOAST:) Add whatever you want on it, like peanut butter, sugar free maple syrup, low fat jam ect.

It's delicious and easy to make:) Plus if you make a few, freeze them and take them to work!

11. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

cinnamon is a great way to add flavour without adding sugar, and it has been rhoumored to help balance your blood sugar, so its a good way to start the day.

You can go for a fruit smoothie, blend a banana and some mixed fruits (frozen berries or tinned fruit coctail works well if you have no fresh) in a blender, pour&drink. You can also add yoghurt, milk or a scoop of ice cream to this mix... I have added crushed cereals for some filling/texture, and it works ok with wheat based ones (wheatabix or shredded wheat over here..).

I LOVE a pink grapfruit half, if you want to be a bit naughty you can sprinkle it with brown sugar and pop it in the fridge over night, but it is pretty awesome fresh.

Not at all like the bland junk you get in boxes!

12. Wrighto

Wrighto New Member

So many great ideas in here, I'm going to have to write all this down!

I tend to eat 3/4 cup of bran flakes with some nuts (I love almonds) and/or berries sprinkled in, and some skim milk. Plain oatmeal with berries in it works, too (and some maple syrup).

I'm also liking smoothies. They're really simple! A cup of milk, maybe half a cup of low-fat yogurt, fruit, whatever else you like, blend it together (I have a magic bullet) - done!

... Now I'm hungry. :p

13. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

I started making breakfast muffins out of the South Beach Diet cookbook and they are a great start to the day, they have quinoa flakes for protein and you can make them with oatmeal too, I'm horrible about sitting down to eat breakfast so can grab one of these with an apple or a banana and eat them in the car on the way to work!

14. Anthony01

Anthony01 New Member

Hi there,I am break fast lover and I do break fast daily.I like some shakes early and may be eggs,bread,fresh juice,nut butter,fruits(Like Apple) according to my mood.It is cool and enjoying for me.

15. maybeth

maybeth New Member

If you cut up bananas and put it in your pancake batter, this will be the most delicious pancake you've veer had [​IMG]

16. Carver

Carver New Member

Yes, it is right breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and everybody should take breakfast because it provide the energy for the whole day. You should take more protein based foods in your breakfast such as milk, yogurt, cheese, and eggs etc.

17. emersonkelly

emersonkelly New Member

Most of the people skip breakfast but it is not good for health as it is an important meal; we should have three well balanced meals each day!!

I do have milk, bananas,oatmeal etc. in my breakfast!!