Braided Bread

Discussion in 'Aphrodite's Kitchen' started by leeaman7777, Dec 11, 2009.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. leeaman7777

leeaman7777 Active Member

Makes 2 braids

Ingredients:

1/4 cup warm water
    1/2 tsp. sugar
    1 tbsp. yeast
    1 cups warm water
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 1/2 tbsp. oil
    3 1/2 cups All purpose flour or Bread flour

Directions:

PROOF
    In a 1 cup measure, pour 1/4 cup warm water. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar, but do not stir. Slowly sprinkle 1 tablespoons yeast into the water, making sure each particle gets wet. Again, do not stir. Wait 10 minutes until the yeast is thick and foamy.

MIX
    While you are waiting for the yeast to proof combine the following ingredients in your bread bowl stirring well between each addition: 1 cups warm water, 1 teaspoons salt, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 egg. Then stir in the yeast and 2 cups of flour. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and stir.
    ADD FLOUR (quickly)
    This dough should be rather stiff so the braids will retain their shape. Add remaining flour, 1 1/2 cups at a time, and stir to make a stiff dough. Coat the dough lightly with flour and turn it out onto a floured kneading surface.

KNEAD
    Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic: 10 minutes. Lightly dust the kneading surface if the dough becomes too sticky to handle.

1ST RISING
    Place the dough into a bowl, turn to grease the top, set in a warm, draft-free spot and allow to rise until double: 1-1 1/2 hours.

SHAPE
    When the dough has doubled, punch it down, pull it away from the sides of the bowl and turn it out onto the kneading surface. Knead it briefly to break all of the large bubbles. Cut the dough in half and set it aside to rest.
    Then cut 1/3 of the dough off of one of the pieces and set it aside. Cut the remaining 2/3 into 3. Roll each piece into a rope 18 inches long. Braid the ropes and place them on a greased baking sheet. Cut the remaining 1/3 dough into 3 small pieces. Roll each out into a rope 16 inches long. Braid these ropes and place them securely on top of the braid already on the baking sheet. Do the same with the second half of the dough.

[​IMG]

2ND RISING
    Allow to rise until double in a warm, draft-free spot: 30 minutes.

BAKE
    Bake in a 375F oven for 20 to 30 minutes pending on your own oven. Cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy..
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. Slvrtide

Slvrtide New Member

Yum, challah, I love this stuff!

3. Bent Into Shape

Bent Into Shape New Member

A Challah would have a lot more egg. You can braid pretty much any dough. I find in the winter it helps to force the rising. Preheat oven to 200 then turn off. Let the bread rise in the warm oven.

4. Slvrtide

Slvrtide New Member

I think it depends on the recipe, there are so many variations. I use 3 eggs in the recipe I have from my mom but a good friend makes hers with just one egg.

5. leeaman7777

leeaman7777 Active Member

Actually there are Alot of Challah breads out there that only take 1 or 2 eggs.

I always have my dough rise in the oven.. You can even just have the light inside your oven on for extra safe heat for rising quicker.

6. twilson1

twilson1 New Member

Challah is my favourite - someone please tell me they know a recipe for Purim Challah? Once a year is definitely not enough!

7. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean challah made like hamantaschen? I don't have a specific recipe, but it should be easy enough: make basic challah dough, but instead of rolling it into logs and braiding it, make it into triangular shapes and put hamantaschen fillers in them.

I've worked at a Jewish community center, and we've made challah all kinds of ways with the grade school kids, but always used the same basic recipe. You can do just about anything with it when it comes to shape and adding flavors.

8. twilson1

twilson1 New Member

Nonoo - not that I don't love hamantaschen, Purim Challah is a much softer, sweeter bread - coated in sprinkles and with sultanas / raisons in the dough - beautiful!!

9. twilson1

twilson1 New Member

Any recipes?

10. twilson1

twilson1 New Member

Has anyone tried any new recipes lately? Got a big dinner party in a couple of weeks, really want to impress!