Anyone else trying to lose a few Part II

Discussion in 'Dieting and Weight' started by StLGaL, Jul 17, 2007.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. nafi

nafi Active Member

I think if I do it I'll do online cuz it's cheaper and have my fiance be the one who's making sure I stay on track. I just gotta work on not getting pissed off every time my weight is brought. It's not often but he has tried to say something a few times and I get pissy so he stops. Frustrating for us both [​IMG]

Thanks for the input Kris, very helpful. And thinking about your coffee...20 pts seems low cuz I drink 1-2 cups (and that's travel mugs not like 250mL cups) and while I'm trying to cut down I put 5-6 cubes of sugar in each [​IMG] It's horrible I know but I can't help it. I think something like this will be good for me though. It'll force us to plan ahead for stuff and force me to think before I put stuff in my mouth. Hopefully it'll help me stop my awful snacking and junk food habit.

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. kris1980

kris1980 Member

nafi- adjusting my coffee habit was hard but it actually made me drink healthier (water) all day instead of just drinking coffee and then not drinking anything else all day.
    Um portion size is huge. I hid all of my big dinner plates and just used the salad plates instead. No second helpings. And you get like 15 flex points to use for the whole week. I use to save up all my flex points to go out drinking on friday/sat night. Cause 1 mich ultra beer is 2 points. I had it down to a science how many beers or glasses of wine i could have. :0)

3. nafi

nafi Active Member

I think my issue right now with cutting out tea is that my office is still cold and the tea helps me get warm. But I hope it's warmer in summer because I'll definitely bring juice instead and drink water. I try to drink not from concentrate apple juice.

Portion size, I'm betting I eat more than I should, but it's hard to do. However I do know if I eat the right stuff I won't get hungry so soon. Right now sometimes I eat til I'm full and then like 10 mins later I'm looking for food. And I'd probably do the same as you, eat less during the week and save it for the weekend in case I go out drinking. I need to work on making more salad and using less dressing on it. I need to buy the veggies and cut them all right away and have them ready. Part of my issue is I like quick easy things, if I have to start peeling and washing and cutting it deters me from wanting it.

I'm going to talk to my fiance and see what he thinks about it. STill using the EA sports active for now but not sure it's helping. However I'm probably also not doing enough on it given that I only do it about 3-4 times a week for 20mins as that's the times I get when my fiance is still at work. Gotta work on that.

4. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Ok, seriously frustrated here. Last Monday (5/3), I started a much stricter diet and exercise regimen in hopes of losing 14 pounds by the end of June. I know this may be too drastic a weight loss, but as much weight as possible lost by the end of June, would be fantastic. My stricter diet has conssted of eliminating all together: sodas, candy, junk food of any kind, red meat, going out to eat, and drinking mainly water. Exercise wise, Ive been running 2 miles daily (I think in the last month and a half, I have missed two days of exercise due to crappy weather), triceps dips, and an ab exercise (which I don't remember the name of). I'm trying to lose the last 14lbs of this stubborn postpartum weight. Problem, I have not lost not one stinking pound, and Im extremely frustrated. The good news is, I do notice my clothes fitting better, and I am back into my prepregnancy jeans. I have been told countless times, that its the way your clothes fit that gauge how well you are losing, and not the number on the scale, but I can't help but be obsessed about that number, and want to see a decrease. I also feel much better energy wise. I think Ive hit a plateau in my exercise regimen, but I am unsure how to increase the challenge. I feel like 2 miles a day should be helping me lose, but it's not! Help!

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Nessa, bump up your mileage just a bit. I'll bet that helps.

6. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Housewife, yes I have thought that perhaps Im losing inches, but that the muscle is keeping my weight the same. And I also know that when you build muscle, you burn more fat, so its probably evening out!

DG, Im exhausted at the end of 2 miles!! Lol! But I do know that once your body becomes acustomed to a certain exercise regimen, your weight will plateau, and then the only way to start losing again is to add more challenge, so then your body starts losing.

7. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Nessa right now with our PT our cardio change has gone to run five ( at a steady pace to get the heart rate up ) and walk 1 min run 1 min continuous for the next 10-15 minutes. I think this is mainly to change up our cardio so that we are not hitting that plateau and changing the muscles as much as we can in one work out if that makes sense?

8. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Oh yeah Ash!! I have lost weight in the past,, and hit plateaus cus the body becomes acostumed to the exercise. Only way out of a plateau is to do something different, and add challenge.

9. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

I just saw this... I don't know how you're doing for cutting down on coffee, but I know a few ways to cut down on sugar in your coffee, most of which I've tried:

If you drink it with milk/cream and sugar, add extra milk. That dulls the bitterness. You can use skim or low fat milk if you're concerned about fat. I hate black coffee and always need to sweeten mine a little, but if I put almost as much milk in the cup as coffee, that takes away the need to sweeten it unless the coffee is extra bitter.

Try a very light roast. Those tend to be higher in caffeine but milder in flavor, and not necessary to sweeten as much. If you're cutting back on coffee, less coffee will give you the same lift if you drink a light roast.

Or sweeten your coffee with something sweeter and/or stronger flavored than table sugar. Honey is sweeter, so if you use that, you'll need less of it. So's maple syrup. Brown sugar has a stronger flavor, so if you use it instead of white sugar, you'll automatically want to use less. I've never tried agave or stevia, but some people swear by those in coffee.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

There's also agave syrup--that's quite sweet and has a very mild flavor. Up until just a few months ago, agave syrup was sort of a specialty item, only to be found in stores like Whole Foods, but it's been mainstreamed. The big chains in my neighborhood carry it. I know how hard it is to drink coffee without sweetener--I rarely ever drink it, but when I do I am liberal with the sugar and milk!

11. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

I did lose another pound since my last post. Its probably just taking some time for the numbers to change, but the clothes are still fitting well.

12. nafi

nafi Active Member

Nessa, have you been tracking your inches? Because if you are losing fat and it's turning into muscle causing the scale to stay the same, your inches should still be decreasing. With you fitting your pre-pregnancy pants my guess is you are losing inches, just gaining muscle over the fat.

GreenTea: Actually I drink Tea not coffee (hate coffee...ick) but I feel I have been doing better with it. The weather has warmed so I have my tea mug and my water bottle. I try to drink at least 500mL of water at work, but I need to get that higher too. Lately I haven't even been finishing the whole travel mug of tea I make in the morning. I don't have milk at work so can't add that to it, and won't drink skim milk only 2%. I have tried honey in the past but it gives it a different taste than I usually like. And I've tried brown sugar too but for some reason when I did in the past I still felt I needed the same amount of sugar. I have cut it to 4-5 cubes, don't ever use 6 anymore so I'm making progress. Working on getting that to 2 cubes in my travel mug so we'll see how that works out for me.

13. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Nafi, yes the fact that my prepregnancy jeans fit really well again, is a great sign to me. Also some of my scrubs are fitting well again. Scrubs I could not fit into real well a few weeks ago. Im very happy to see this change!

14. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps a lighter flavored tea would help? I find that Lady Grey (close cousin to the Earl Grey blend) is so sweet on its own, I can't see who in their right mind would want sweetener. But then, I prefer most teas unsweetened. There are other teas that are quite sweet, but I'm not that much of a connoisseur (despite my screen name!).
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

15. Mmm passion tea is amazing. I think tazo makes it? It's a blood-red colored tea but it's so tasty and doesn't really need sweetener at all!

16. nafi

nafi Active Member

I've tried Earl Grey and don't really like it. Nor do I like the flavored ones I've tried so I just stick to my Red Rose. Guess due to bad flavors before I don't really want to try new flavors I haven't before.

17. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

I feel like I'm going backwards again. Stepped on the scale this morning to find me up another pound. Like I've said before, I know inches and better fitting clothes are a more reliable indication of weight loss but I can't help but be obsessed about the number on the scale. Seriously frustrated over here!!

18. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

UGhh Sorry Nessa! Could be anything though! extra fluids will do it quick! I know just after I stopped feeding Noah mine slowed down SOOO bad! Here are my "fat stats" lol! Pre-preg 128-136 ( I am 4'11" D-Day 189lb! I got down to 128 while feeding but as soon as I stopped it crept back up (142) and is at a No-Budge state! I have been VERY strict the last few days with my diet and hitting the gym as much as possible and REALLY nailing that cardio after an intense 30 min workout ( we target abs, shoulders, back and legs all on their own day ) and I really feel like I have so much more energy and I think I may be at (138 ) I need to re weigh as sometimes my moms scale is off but the gym has a pretty accurate scale!

19. Slvrtide

Slvrtide New Member

Nessa, scales are the worst! It can be so frustrating. Maybe try weighing yourself weekly instead of daily if you can? I know a lot of doctors and nutritionists reccommend this as the daily number is subject to so many things like fluid intake, humidity, hormones, etc. Plus it takes burning 3500 calories to lose a pound so expecting the scale to go down every day can be disheartening. So weekly is more accurate and generally less frustrating, is what I've found.

20. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Thanks slv. I will start doing that. I certainly work out enough to make a difference so its frustrating seeing no change. Hopefully weekly weigh ins will show that change.