Anyone else trying to lose a few Part II

Discussion in 'Dieting and Weight' started by StLGaL, Jul 17, 2007.

1. StLGaL

StLGaL New Member

This post was up to 78 pages so I thought it was time to put it in the archives..but here is part 2 so you can continue the discussion without having all the really old posts and so many pages to go through.
    Andrena Spears likes this.

2. Juicy-Juls

Juicy-Juls Active Member

I re-stickied it for ya gals...

3. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's part of my last post in the first thread... the part where I gripe about my weight and officially join the thread, so I can pick up where I left off... (and you other ladies better jump back in here - fellas, too!)...

We just took a cruise, and I wasn't really happy with where my weight was before we left. But, I wasn't going to not enjoy myself. ...I came home, and I'm at the most I've weighed my entire life! I still look fine, since I was a competitive athlete for so long, I had a "head start." But I've always taken that for granted and I think it's finally catching up with me. Anyone who knows me would be able to tell I've gained weight since getting married (I know that's common, but that's no excuse!). I really want to be in better shape weight-wise before we start actively ttc.

I've popped on this thread before, but consider me an official member now. I want to lose at least 15 pounds. Ready, set, go...
    Andrena Spears likes this.

4. maryberry1987

maryberry1987 New Member

I'd like to pop in if I could...
    I have *gulp* 50 lbs. to lose...
    It's my baby weight [​IMG] It's very hard to get rid of it seems! I can tell you though that I've joined a gym, I'm eating all day long, 100 calories every couple hours actually (a good idea from a friend of mine [​IMG] ) and I've lost 10 lbs. this past week and a half. I feel a little better too because I went on a shopping spree and got some fab. clothes. But, I've still got more weight to lose!!!!!!!

5. MyrtleWarbler

Mary, I saw this awesome bit on TV where these women were doing exercises as they pushed the stroller... bouts of speedwalking (within reason, precious cargo and all!), with intervals of things like walking lunges, leg kicks to the side, etc. They were in a park, and working out as a group. But, asked my hubby if I would look goofy doing that around our neighborhood by myself! [​IMG] Anyway, I thought it was a really cool concept, and would totally be doing it if (when) I'm in your situation.

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I lost my cruise weight--one week to put on, 3 weeks to lose. Sigh.

My boyfriend and I, hmmm, I guess that'd be my FIANCE now--work out together 3 times a week, and take walks in the evening with the dogs. I'm working out on my own several more times a week (jogging, swimming and polo)--I usually have 1 day off, and have a couple of days where I workout a couple times of day (my lunch swims are lightweight as I only have 30 minutes of pool time). So I've got the exercise down and I really am feeling better.

And, the time on the cruise eliminated my daily cafe mocha habit (saving money and calories) and I've almost stopped drinking diet cola, the chemicals which can be poison on top of causing heavey carb and sugar cravings for me.

I'd really like to lose 15lbs. I'll be in Hawaii for a week in October, and dammit, I want to look f-ing great!! I didn't do it for Alaska, but I sure do want to look good in October.

7. MyrtleWarbler

Quick check-in... I'm not back to pre-cruise weight just yet, but I've dropped a couple pounds. A couple pounds a week would be a nice trend...

8. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I've never been on this thread, but I'd like to jump in if you ladies don't mind. I'm very new to all this and could use the help! Here's a bit about me:

I went off Nuva Ring at the end of October last year, and then about 10-15 pounds just appeared over the next few months. I am 5"3, weighed about 117-120ish before, never really gained weight until going off BC and *poof* I weigh 135 now. Yikes! I know I'm not hugely overweight but it's hard when I've never dealt with this before and I can't wear most of my clothes anymore.

I am ttc and have been trying to get in good shape for pregnancy (which will HOPEFULLY be soon!), but so far my gym efforts are mediocore. DH and I are trying to make it to the gym more often. We eat fairly well already, so I think the exercise and being a bit more careful about food is the way to go ... easier said than done, right?

9. BethG

BethG New Member

Hey sapphire, I'm 5'3" too but over the past 10 years have packed on the pounds and as of 1/1/07, I was 190lbs! YIKES! OHMYGOD! I was trying to lose every since January with moderate success.

I'll be TTC this winter/spring so I decided I REALLY needed to lose some weight before that. My goal was 20lbs by Sept/Oct, although I really need to lose more -- like maryberry, I need about 50lbs off. I hope to keep losing up until we do conceive. So far I've lost 12lbs. So that's, hmmm, let's see, a whopping 1.7lbs a month. LOL.

I don't believe in "diets," so I've been working on making lifestyle changes -- eating smaller portions is a big part of it. Trying to eat healthier -- more fruits and salads. Taking vitamins. Haven't really increased my activity level, but maybe since we got our new half-grown puppy Morgan, I'll be more inclined to walks and hikes.

We started our second "Biggest Loser" contest in my office so I decided to participate in this one. $10 to participate, winner takes 70%, second place get 30%. Big boss pledged $100 extra to the winner. Thought it might make me more accountable.

10. why

why New Member

I am doing the "life style change" called Body for life. It is really good lost 6lbs my first week. And my you eat a lot during this diet, ok you eat often.....you do like Mary said smaller meals more often....every 2-3 hrs and drink 2 glasses water with each meal.

So to choose your meals you MUST use portion contoll ONLY one serving!! Meats are about the size of your fist...

each meal you choose 1 carb 1 protein and 2 or more meals add in a veggie.
    You limit your flour/carbs to whole grains/whole wheat flours, breads, pasta rice exc. Your meats need to be lean cuts, chicken lean beef, fish exc.
    You get one free day per week.

As for the excersise you HAVE to excersise....you do weights everyother day and cardio everyother day. Aprox. 45min weights and 20min cardio..really that is NOT that bad.

Say you are starting out, Mon-upper body, Tues-cardio, Wend-lower bod/abs, Thu-cardio, Fri-upper, Sat-cardio, Sun FREE...

Here is the link something to look at really I do not get hungry by the time I am done snacking on one meals it is time to eat the next...

body for life

ALSO tract your foods and weight, excersise on: fitday

11. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Thanks for the welcome! BethG, thinking about a pregnancy is a good motivator, isn't it? You should have seen how healthy I was the month before we started ttc! If only I could keep it up ... the motivation starts dropping when months go by and I'm not pregnant! Now I'm trying to use this weight loss thing as a distraction from ttc, hoping that being healthy & taking a bit of a break will help acheive a pregnancy.

Why, my friend did Body for Life awhile ago and she really loved it. I too am not a fan of diets (never actually done one myself!) but this program sounds good.

I have hypoglycemia, so eating every 2-3 hours is been essential for me otherwise I get dizzy and quickly become unable to function. The key is to control my hypoglycemia so I never let my blood sugar get too low, and when it is getting low, to find a healthy snack to get it back up (instead of 'oh crap I'm getting dizzy, let me have that Coke').

Exercise is hard though!! I enjoy it when I go to the gym, but it seems nearly impossible to actually go three times a week (not sure how you do it 6 times, why!). One night this week DH and I skipped the gym and justified it by telling each other that if we made love that night it would count as some exercise [​IMG] (no really, does it count??)

12. MyrtleWarbler

Yes, the prepping for ttc is a good motivator! But I'm running out of time, lol!!

One thing that helps me is simply keeping track of my food. If I'm looking at it in writing, I'm less likely to go overboard.

Awhile back I found the website www.fitday.com ... You can enter in your food for each day, also exercise, weight-tracking, etc. It's a nice site, and free to join.

The extra cool thing... If you don't find a food item listed in there, you can go to www.dietfacts.com and search. They have tons of brands and restaurants, rarely a thing I've searched for and not found (but perhaps U.S. based, so our brands only?). Once you find what you want, there's a button at the bottom that says "Import to Fitday.com" that you can click... a window opens, sign into Fit Day, and click the link to accept the import. Very, very cool.

Since I am (obviously) online every day, I track my daytime food here - snacks, lunch, etc. At the end of the day, I kinda see where I stand, and it makes me think more going into dinner.

13. why

why New Member

Glad to see the dietfacts site, I have been entering in fitday but not all the foods are there Thanks!!

I have some weights at home too just small dumb bells so if I do not go to the gym I will do 10min cardio (walk/jog/run) and then come in and do the upper body.

You have to be ready to do it. You have to not make up excuses (I was a good one) and promise your self you will do it. We always break promises to ourselfs but deep down they still are there nagging at us!!

Yeah I do not like diets either but actually with this it is just changing the types of food I eat and portions and eating often. Really I do ot feel like I am on a diet cause I eat so often :)

Anyway I see someone needs some baby dust?? I am sending some your way (be sure you send me some too)

14. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

One of my male friends did Fit for Life. He looks like a big, sculptured rock now, as opposed to the big chubby bouncer guy he was before. The program worked well for him, and it's been 4 years.

My most helpful tip was to finally get a scale (3 weeks ago). The scale has been much more of a motivater than I would have ever realized, and not in the obessive-oh-my-god-I-gained-3 ounces-way, but as a reality check.

Hmm--I just looked at my lunch today. Here's another helpful tip: complain enough to your partner about trying to lose weight and then watch what he packs for your lunch. Today I got a banana, a bag of carrots, and a peach.

15. why

why New Member

LOL!! CARB-O-RAMA lunch!! I am NOT all about the low carb dieting but I do think we should limit our carbs and mix then with protens. Today on my "diet" I have ate, oatmeal, whole wheat bagel, sliced turkey breast, ham, and bean/cheese burrito. I still have 2 more meals to eat, my calorie intake is about 600 for today and I have not been hungry....

Happy for me I lost another 2lbs!!! total of 8 for 2 weeks....can't complain!! I am doing my % body fat on Mon hoping is is lower.....

16. MyrtleWarbler

Today is my birthday and I"m about to blow my diet all to hell and back! Yesterday I put on some shorts and they were way too tight. As I pulled them off, a to-do list fell out of the pocket from our wedding preparation time, a little more than a year ago. Obviously they fit me fine then. REALITY CHECK!

But, not gonna worry about it today! Having a big cookout party, a cooler of beer, and a yummy cake. So Monday I get back on track! But those shorts, damn, that was a real wake-up call... [​IMG]

17. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Happy belated Birthday, MyrtleWarbler!! I can relate to the shorts story--I have so many outfits that have been shelved since I "blossomed." I can't wait to break them out--it'll be like having a whole new wardrobe.

I lost 3 lbs last week, 6lbs since the cruise. I'd like to keep up a 2lbs a week loss, if possible.

18. why

why New Member

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Enjoy it eat some cake for me lol!!

I treated myslef this weekend and bought a new pair of slacks..2 sizes smaller then normal...maybe just the brand but still feels good ;-)

Congrats on the loss desertgirl keep up the good work!!

19. StLGaL

StLGaL New Member

20. curcuma

curcuma New Member

StL, here is a link about possible side-effects of supplementing with CLA, at least in rodents. Seems that though it encourages weight loss, it also encourages fat to collect in the liver, which is associated with Type 2 Diabetes.

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=21608