Anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Wellbeing' started by leeaman7777, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Kimberjean08

Kimberjean08 Member

Hi Jill,

Thank you for your advice. I think it is important to understand why I'm feeling anxious. I don't know if I'm using it as an excuse not to do things...it just isn't clear to me at this point. I do feel worry and anxiety about things that I know I can't change. I am working on addressing that issue. I worry sometimes about people close to me dying and not having spent enough valuable time with them. I also worry about being homeless or some other extreme event happening. I'm trying my best to push these feelings out of my head.

I, like you, do better when I have somewhere I have to be. In the beginning of all of my anxiety a few months ago, that was not the case. I was afraid to leave the house. I was afraid to sit on my couch because I had spent so much time crying on it. I was afraid to shower and to sleep. I because anxious about everything. Now I seem to have gotten over some of these phobias. Having to go to class every day has forced me to get out of the house. Even though I do feel anxious before I do something, I feel better most of the time after doing it.

I think I need to be more kind to myself. I have always been hard on myself. When my anxiety started, I was even harder on myself. I felt guilty for not being well, for not going out with friends, for not being fun anymore, for missing class, for not eating, for everything! I would try to talk myself into things by being hard on myself and telling myself how ridiculous and irrational I was being. I'm trying to get out of this habit. Now I tell myself things like "you know you can do this. It is not as bad as it seems. Doing this activity will make you feel better." These things are helping. Right now I'm trying to talk myself into doing laundry and going grocery shopping. I knwo I need to do these things today.

I will try to identify why things are making me anxios and face them.

Thank you again!!
    Kim

2. JillF

JillF Member

Alyssa-- I'm so sorry to not have replied to you sooner! I haven't been here since the last time I posted. Been a bit busy-- you know how it is!

I don't really have much advice thats really earth-shattering when it comes to getting over a driving phobia. Its something I'm still working at as well!

Like my dr said-- phobias can be difficult to work through-- all you can do is keep working at it. The more we work at it, the better it gets. I drive in town really well now. The only time I have problems really, is when I'm really stressed out for one reason or another-- and sometimes (not always) when sitting at a red light or waiting for a train. Especially when theres are cars behind me. I think its the whole "feeling trapped" thing.

But I've noticed that I'm not really scared of the situation-- what I'm scared about is getting panicky. I'm scared of the anxious feelings that come up during these sitations. The irony of it is that I create those very feelings just by worrying about it and wanting to get going soon.

Bridge phobias are quite common. My hubbys mom has extreme difficulties going over bridges-- for her-- even when walking!

Your tunnel thing may be a feeling a being trapped? Just guessing.

I had my very first panic attack driving a car-- so I associated driving with panic. By doing that, I programmed my body to respond with panic everytime I tried to drive. I've learned to de-program some of that thinking over time!

I still have a long way to go when it comes to driving. I do think though- thats partly my own fault not wanting to completely face it. I can't even think about driving on the interstate yet. Its frustrating- because I used to drive EVERYWHERE without even breaking a sweat.

Really, its just a processs of working through it. I use the same techniques as I do everywhere else-- deep breathing, relaxing my muscles... etc.... I tend to fiddle with the radio as a distraction too! lol.

Kimberjean-- how are you doing? It sounds like you have some really good insights into yourself. Really, one of the most difficult battles we can have in our life is with our selves.

Most people NEVER look at themselves all open and vulnerable like we have. Its not easy to face it-- but its oh so worth it.

3. Brielikesforums

Brielikesforums New Member

I have had severe anxiety attacks many times in the past 5 years, one even landing me in the ER. After about 5 or so, you start to know when they are coming on, how bad they are, and how to calm yourself down easier. Do you get the tingly fingers? The confusion? The feeling like you may be dying, only because you are so confused about whats happening to you? Difficulty breathing? sudden mood swings? These things usually mean you are passed anxiety and are now having an anxiety attack. First thing to do, is to make sure to pay attention to your breathing. Breath in deep, breath out deep. Many times when you have an attack you start to hyperventilate which exasperates other symptoms and can cause you to pass out. Once you are breathing more normally, just keep reminding yourself that your okay, your safe, and this will all be over soon. It sounds simple, but your brain will listen and send a message to the rest of your body. During an attack, you are going through the flight or fight response. Elevated heartbeat, adrenaline rush, etc.. once you have started to relax you go through a recovery mode where your body makes up for the sudden adrenaline rush and heartbeat acceleration and you can often feel a high or just a relaxed calm that's almost nice in caparison to the attack. Just remember you are fine, you are not dying, and you WILL get through it.

4. Steve Jhonson

Steve Jhonson New Member

During a medical research in france people with anxiety were given 25 mg Pristiq generic and then Pristiq 50 mg, which proved effective to treat anxiety successfully.