AMAZING REAL LIFE BIRTH STORIES!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by brown eyed girl, Aug 6, 2007.

1. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Re: Birth stories from our members!!!

Wowie Pam!! Sounds like the only thing that went according to plan, was avoiding a csection. That was quite a dramatic labor and birth. Its wonderful when those epis work just right. Your epi sounds like it worked just like mine!!

Congratulations to you and your famil!! Now don't blink, because little Eddie is gonna grow so fast!!

2. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

Wonderful birth story Pam!

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Congrats, iampam! What a journey!

Piper also had lowish apgar scores--5 at birth, 7 a couple of minutes later, and then finally 9. She was floppy and purple too, and was given oxygen on my chest. She had also pooped during labor--my waters had been clear and then were stained with heavy meconium as she was being born. Finally, she and little Eddie share similar birth weights and length (she was 8lb, 6oz and 22").

4. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow, Pam! Congratulations! Many of the things also reminded me of my birth with K! Including the epi causing me to need the ephedrine and baby having nice clear waters when it was broken but having pooped when she came out, and finally the forceps. [​IMG]

So glad you at least got a vaginal birth above all other complications. He is a handsome little fella'. [​IMG]

5. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

What is it with these babies pooping in their mommies? Sofie pooped inside me too, on the way out! And also continued to do so even after she was born [​IMG]

6. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

M had an initial score of 3!!! Then, 9, 5 min later.

7. TDG

TDG New Member

LOL..wow ladies. I thought the pooping was a rare thing(I thought mom poops often during, not baby!) None of my kids pooped and all had 8/9 apgars! None had any fluid in their lungs/bellys either! (I was suprised considering the c sects!)

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Rowanthe (delivery nurse, I think) told me in a post that it is common for babies to poop as they are coming down the birth canal--I mean think about how everything is getting squeezed, lol. I wonder if it's even more common for babies that get 'stuck' in there a while (I know I was pushing for 4 hours). The giant head and body blocks the meconium and remaining fluid behind the baby, so during the actual delivery, it is rare for the babies to be aspirate it and isn't a big deal. Meconium before birth/delivery, where it is possible to aspirate, is obviously more serious.

9. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Oh yeah, I undersand the physiology. I was referring more to all these babies on this forum pooping in their mommies!! I know some babies don't.

It's also common for babies distressed during labor, to poop inside, for obvious reasons.

I didn't poop during my delivery (thank God), or fart.

I also found out the other day, that Sofie came out sunny side up. Why I didn't know this before, I'll never know. But I do remember the horrible Pitocin induced contractions, made the contractions unbearable in the back. he front contractions were tolerable. Now I finally realize why!!!

10. Alluring-Ash

Seems to make sense, DG. I know when K came out she still had meconium stuck to her butt. and her breathing and every thing was fine. I didn't pay attention to her apgar since I was being stitched up the time but I want to say I heard 7 was the first? I could totally be wrong on that though.

I think I did go #2 but just when baby came out with the forceps and all the pushing and pressure. She also had to dodge some blood that shot just past her face/shoulder, lol. Doc said from the start "Push with everything you have, don't you be one of those women who are worried about pooing and farting during labor, now" It was a pretty calm labor and lots of talking and laughing going on. One of those " You don't care in the moment" type deals.

11. TDG

TDG New Member

It makes perfect sense why baby(or mom) would poop. I just didnt realize it was so common for babys to do it.

nessa--thats pretty funny you didnt know that rather big detail of your labor/birth! lol

Im always paranoid about farting during my c/s because theres no control with the spinal! I know itd be no biggie and probably happens plenty...itd be really awkward to just lay there farting in a room FULL of people! LOL! (hasnt happened yet thank god)

12. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

hahaha, omg, tmi coming up: I totally would have pooped all over, but was "lucky" I didn't only because I'd had major diarrhea and some vomiting during labor. Nothing left!

And afterwards, though I had no incontinence issues at all...I did have some issue with passing gas (lasted about 1/2 a day). It was pretty hilarious. The first time I did it, I was by myself, and I was like, um..what the heck happened, did I just pass gas uncontrollably? Then later, my hubs came in and it happened again, and as we were laughing like 6-years old, the farts kept coming! I guess after 4 hours of bearing down, my sphincter muscles were a little tired and relaxed!

13. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Lol TDG!! Dunno about farting with the spinal in place.

I dunno why I barely found out about Sofie's way out. But again, it would explain the painful back contractions, and my tailbone hurting like hell.

Lol DG!! That was my hugest fear during labor, was pooping. I dont care how many times OBs have seen poop and farts, I woulda still been soooo embarassed. I still feel embarassed with a male OB doing a pap on me, even though I know he sees a million a day!!

14. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

SIL who had a normal delivery without drugs told me that she didn't find out if she did any of the above. They didn't tell, she couldn't tell, she didn't ask.

15. *mel*

*mel* Super Moderator Staff Member

OMG! LOL! I had the exact same thing with passing gas the day after giving birth! Totally uncontrollable. BF kept looking at me in amazement every time it happend, I think I was pretty amazed myself! Must have been all the pushing, I think I was pushing for between 3 and 4 hours untill they intervined, don't know exact times though.

16. ladybuglnc

ladybuglnc Member

Lorelai Grace
    7-7-11
    5 lbs 11 oz
    19 1/2 inches

Here is my birth story

I had blood pressure problems throughout my pregnancy, and from about 20 weeks on had to be on labetalol to help control it. My due date was August 6, and starting about the end of June, my bp started creeping up. I was admitted to L&D a couple of times for observation so they could keep an eye on the bp and the baby. On July 5 at my appointment, the midwife sent me over to have a non-stress test and serial bp checks. I waited, and waited for them to let me go but my blood pressure wasn't coming down like it had before,even though they had me up to the max dose I could take. They decided to keep me overnight. Later that evening, one of my doctors came in to check on me. After looking at the printouts from both me and the baby, informed me that if my bp didn't improve by morning, they would be looking into inducing. That night it dropped a little while I was sleeping, but rose again as soon as I woke up. I sent my husband on to work thinking that they would just keep observing me all day and not decide anything till after he got back.

At about noon, my primary doctor came in and was talking to me about everything. He said that because they couldn't control my bp, he wanted to induce. He checked me, but I was only dialated a little, not even to one and not soft at all. He said that to get my cervix ripened and dialated would probably take about 36 hours and he didn't think my bp could take it, especially with pushing, so he was going to go ahead with a c-section. It was scheduled for 7am the next day 7-7-11. I was so scared, she was going to be almost 5 weeks early, but they had given me a steroid shot to help with lung development the night before. I called my husband to let him know, and began to let the rest of the family know, because I was at the hospital by myself at that point.

The next morning they prepped me for the c-section, and wheeled me down to the OR, where they put in my spinal block. It made me sick and I threw up. After that they brought in my hubby and got things started. They had some trouble getting her out and had to use the vaccum (I don't remember this, the hubby told me after). I remember hearing her cry, and them holding her over the curtain thing so I could see her. After that I hardly remember anything, because they gave me something to knock me out. I don't even remember holding her for the first time [​IMG] For the next 24 hours they had me on magnesium sulfate and I couldn't even get out of the bed.

I learned after the fact that her blood sugar was low, and they couldn't get her to take a bottle (I wanted to breast feed, that didn't happen) so they had to do a feeding tube, but other than that she was just fine. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and was 19 1/2 inches long. She had a little trouble with jaundice and keeping warm, but all was resolved by the time we left the hospital four days later.

17. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Congrats Ladybug!!!!

18. Ruby claire

Ruby claire New Member

Every mother bears many types of difficulties for their infants and i am sure you are not one of those who never been in situation where someone blame you of not being a kind mother..

19. Alluring-Ash

Adalynn Nichole "Addy" June 28, 2013 3:08 AM 7lb 10oz 19 3/4"

[​IMG]

Planned on trying a "natural" water birth! Little did I know how natural my birth was going to be. No blood work, IV, or even hospital gowns involved!

June 25th Midwife visit I was 5cm at 39+3 we talked about having my water broken the following Monday if nothing before changed since my uterus was so favorable and I was very uncomfortable.

June 27th 2013 I woke up around 11:30 or so with a sharp pain that went from my pelvis to my back, this after days of back pain and a "bloody show" about 12 hours prior. I thought nothing of it as I was already having contractions that never really regulated enough to go in.

Again about 30 minutes later I had another, and about 15 minutes later another. I decided to go lay on our couch because I was moaning a bit and didn't want to wake up Mitchell or Noah ( he sneaks into our bed sometimes ) I dozed off on the couch for about 20 minutes and started getting more painful contractions that came on fast ( about 8 mins apart but very very strong!!! ) I also had more blood in the bathroom. I asked hubby to please bring me my yoga ball and he did with no questions and went right back to sleep ( nice, huh?)

After a few more I sent a text to my family telling them that I thought it was going to be soon. I then called my midwife to ask her what I should do. She told me to head to the hospital as it was an hour long drive.

I woke Mitchell up and told him we needed to head out, it was about 1:30 and we had to get the kids loaded up ( I had just packed their bag before dinner too! ) they needed to be dropped off with my sister on the way. So as he was loading them in the car and I was grabbing the other things that we needed I had another intense contraction in which I had to kneel down on to the couch and my water broke, GUSHED! I had to change clothes real fast and grab some towels and we left.

We met up with my mom on the way so I could ride with her while he dropped them off, contractions were so intense and about 2 minutes apart and we still had 45 minutes of drive time. About half way there I felt another big pop and more gushing water, I was sitting Ina good inch of water after this. My mom put the hazards on and sped up. I couldn't talk and breathing through them felt impossible. I was lifting myself off the seat as it hurt to be in a sitting position. I was in the worst pain ever as we pulled up and at this point I told my mom I needed to push and to let me out of the car. It was 3:00am and we had just pulled up to the parking garage that the doors to the hospital are right next to. I got out thinking I could rush to the doors and I couldn't walk! I dropped down to the ground on on all 4's and couldn't move, I was screaming to my mom to please hurry and go get someone I couldn't move and needed to push.

The nurses came running with a wheel chair and I felt like I was splitting in half when they helped get me into that thing!! We were on the way in( running) when we got to triage the nurse asked if the Drs. had mentioned anything about a placental abruption because of the blood running down my legs. Another nurse did a check and said 7, then the charge nurse said she wanted to check and said "no, this baby is coming now" the midwife didnt make it for the delivery, another nurse kept sticking the fetal monitor on me and I asked her to please take it off of me ( she was holding it with her hand ) and after she said now twice I grabbed her hand and the monitor and shoved them away. I was wrapped onto he side of the bed and I swear my guts felt like they were being ripped apart. This is when they said the baby was posterior and turning. I was begging for someone to make it stop. The contractions had zero spacing. Mitchell was still not there yet and they said to push ( he just walked in!!) and out popped her head, btw the "ring of fire" had nothing on those contractions! She said to stop pushing and I couldn't so the shoulders and butt followed. The relief immediately after she came was the most amazing feeling in the world!!

I had a first degree tear that required 5 stitches 3 to the perineum and 2 to the labia. Have needed nothing besides Motrin for the pain and that's just from the uterus contracting to shrink. Recovery has been so amazing. I was in the shower about an hour after and she nurses like a pro. Her kidney is still dilated so we will have to have a follow-up done to see if it goes down.

20. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations Ash and way to go, you awesome Mama!! What a great job! She's absolutely beautiful and you're a rock star!!