Advice on Short Luteal Phase Wanted

Discussion in 'Overcoming Infertility' started by slightlyvintmama, Feb 1, 2011.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. slightlyvintmama

slightlyvintmama New Member

My husband and I have been TTC for about 6mo. I know that's completely within normal. I chart via fertilityfriend. I noticed that my days between ovulation and begining my perios is an average of 8 - 10days. Also, my temp only stays up for about 1-2 days. I am just wondering if anyone else has been through this, if they have concieved anyway, if so through what meathods, whats been helpful or not etc.

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

I remember one user from my due date thread Lintu had short LP. Not sure how short. Unfortunately, I haven't seen her on here in a very long time. Perhaps someone else can fill you in.

8 days is very short, though. Have you seen a doctor about this?

3. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Short luteal phase is a sign of a progesterone deficiency or a low-quality, i.e. immature, egg. Some ways to help correct the issue if it's progesterone related is by taking vitamin B6 100 mg a day. It'll take a few months to work, but usually has the benefit of adding a couple days to your LP. You can also try buying over-the-counter progesterone cream to start using at 3DPO. It will help lengthen your luteal phase as well.

4. slightlyvintmama

slightlyvintmama New Member

I havent seen a doctor yet, but I do have an apt now. My hubby switched jobs and we were waiting for the health insurance to kick in. I read that a thyroid problem can cause the progesterone deficiency. My thyroid function has long been in question. It always comes back inside normal ranges when they do the blood tests, but I have all but one main symptom and do well on therapy - when i can find a doc who will prescribe it even though the tests report normal. I have been looking into some natural support/replacement, but decided to wait until i saw a doc so he would see the baseline first.

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I have a short luteal phase (9-10 days) and conceived practically instantly, so it's not always a problem. I haven't temped in forever, so I can't remember long my temp stayed up.

Good luck, hope you find something that works or end up preggo soon!

6. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

Didn't know about your LP, DG! Of course, I think I joined on here shortly after Piper was born, I think.

7. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a friend whose LP is normally 6-8 days. She miscarries frequently because of progesterone issues, but she has one 13-month-old daughter and is currently 15 weeks pregnant with a second baby, so it is possible to conceive with a short LP. You are just more likely to have issues than someone with the standard 12-14 LP. Doctors don't usually consider it a problem unless it's less than 10 days, some 12.