Advice on Short Luteal Phase Wanted

Discussion in 'Overcoming Infertility' started by slightlyvintmama, Feb 1, 2011.

1. slightlyvintmama

slightlyvintmama New Member

My husband and I have been TTC for about 6mo. I know that's completely within normal. I chart via fertilityfriend. I noticed that my days between ovulation and begining my perios is an average of 8 - 10days. Also, my temp only stays up for about 1-2 days. I am just wondering if anyone else has been through this, if they have concieved anyway, if so through what meathods, whats been helpful or not etc.

2. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

I remember one user from my due date thread Lintu had short LP. Not sure how short. Unfortunately, I haven't seen her on here in a very long time. Perhaps someone else can fill you in.

8 days is very short, though. Have you seen a doctor about this?

3. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Short luteal phase is a sign of a progesterone deficiency or a low-quality, i.e. immature, egg. Some ways to help correct the issue if it's progesterone related is by taking vitamin B6 100 mg a day. It'll take a few months to work, but usually has the benefit of adding a couple days to your LP. You can also try buying over-the-counter progesterone cream to start using at 3DPO. It will help lengthen your luteal phase as well.

4. slightlyvintmama

slightlyvintmama New Member

I havent seen a doctor yet, but I do have an apt now. My hubby switched jobs and we were waiting for the health insurance to kick in. I read that a thyroid problem can cause the progesterone deficiency. My thyroid function has long been in question. It always comes back inside normal ranges when they do the blood tests, but I have all but one main symptom and do well on therapy - when i can find a doc who will prescribe it even though the tests report normal. I have been looking into some natural support/replacement, but decided to wait until i saw a doc so he would see the baseline first.

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I have a short luteal phase (9-10 days) and conceived practically instantly, so it's not always a problem. I haven't temped in forever, so I can't remember long my temp stayed up.

Good luck, hope you find something that works or end up preggo soon!

6. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

Didn't know about your LP, DG! Of course, I think I joined on here shortly after Piper was born, I think.

7. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a friend whose LP is normally 6-8 days. She miscarries frequently because of progesterone issues, but she has one 13-month-old daughter and is currently 15 weeks pregnant with a second baby, so it is possible to conceive with a short LP. You are just more likely to have issues than someone with the standard 12-14 LP. Doctors don't usually consider it a problem unless it's less than 10 days, some 12.